ASTON Rowant’s fears of the drop from Division 1 increased with an eight-wicket defeat under the Duckworth-Lewis Method at relegation rivals Gerrards Cross.
Rowant now stand just three points above Harefield in the relegation zone, with bottom club Gerrards Cross a further five points adrift.
Having been put in to bat, Rowant were restricted to 198-7 off their 50 overs.
Opener Chris Watling top-scored with 64 off 119 balls, with five fours, while Tom Hampton (3-38) was Gerrards Cross’s most successful bowler.
Rowant’s hopes were lifted as Karl Penhale removed openers Jamie Hoddle and Mohammed Anwar cheaply to leave Gerrards Cross struggling on 29-2.
However, there was no moving Matthew Watson and Daniel Solway, who shared an unbeaten stand which took the basement boys to victory.
They had reached 125-2 off 33.1 overs when there was a rain break.
Gerrards Cross’s target was revised, and the pair maintained the momentum to see the hosts home at 152-2 off 37.3 overs.
Watson was unbeaten on 71 from 109 balls, which contained ten fours, while Solway made 57 not out from 74 deliveries, with nine fours.
Aston Rowant – Sat, Aug 30 v Henley (h). Sat, Sept 6 v Tring Park (a).
Gerrards Cross – Sat, Aug 30 v Burnham (a). Sat, Sept 6 v Oxford (h).
Harefield – Sat, Aug 30 v High Wycombe (h). Sat, Sept 6 v Banbury (a).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton: Oxford United must improve against League One's route one merchants
- Millwall result will determine Oxford United mood for next fortnight, says captain John Lundstram
- Oxford United boss issues warning over dangerous Millwall strikers
- Millwall manager Neil Harris full of respect for 'attack-minded' Oxford United
- Striker Wes Thomas’s calf injuries proving a mystery for Oxford United
- OxVox column: How I ended up building a network of exiles
- FOOTBALL: Justin Merritt backs Oxford City to deliver without suspended captain Scott Davies
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins and Banbury ready to lock horns in South West 1 East
- FOOTBALL: Wantage Town eye good end to tough week ahead of FA Trophy tie at Weymouth
- FOOTBALL: George McEachran features for England in European Under 17 Championship qualifiers