GREAT & Little Tew’s Home Counties Premier League Division 2 status was confirmed for next season, despite a 95-run home defeat by Finchampstead under the Duckworth-Lewis Method.
Losses for the bottom two, Chesham and Falkland, ensure that Tew will stay up.
However, their bowlers took a real hammering as they conceded a club record total of 311-9 off their 50 overs after Finchampstead decided to bat first.
Matthew Jones (78), Harry Stephens (70) and Adam Dewes (51) tucked into the home attack, which nevertheless saw Lloyd Brock take 3-60, while Ian Bryan was the pick of the bowlers with 2-38 off his ten overs.
Finchampstead’s total beat the 302-7 Reading had smashed off the Tew attack last season.
The hosts saw their target reduced twice by rain breaks, before they fell well short off their final aim of 276 off 40 overs, closing on 181-8.
Curtly Slatter hit 63 as Jonathan Dewes (3-24) and Tipene Friday (3-28) did the damage.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw at Macclesfield Town
- Alex MacDonald hails Simon Eastwood for keeping Oxford United in FA Cup
- ANGLING: Carl Eland's second place puts Drennan Oxford closer to Winter League crown
- FUTSAL: Liam Palfreeman’s selection forEngland is dream come true
- SWIMMING: Jemma Lowe Olympian inspires City of Oxford’s youngsters
- TABLE TENNIS: Janet Brown causes Karl Bushell big fright in Oxford League
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Thame A close in on the Oxford League leaders
- BOXING: Mixed results for Berinsfield stars
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars looking for quick revenge on leaders
- Macclesfield Town 0, Oxford United 0