GREAT & Little Tew’s Home Counties Premier League Division 2 status was confirmed for next season, despite a 95-run home defeat by Finchampstead under the Duckworth-Lewis Method.
Losses for the bottom two, Chesham and Falkland, ensure that Tew will stay up.
However, their bowlers took a real hammering as they conceded a club record total of 311-9 off their 50 overs after Finchampstead decided to bat first.
Matthew Jones (78), Harry Stephens (70) and Adam Dewes (51) tucked into the home attack, which nevertheless saw Lloyd Brock take 3-60, while Ian Bryan was the pick of the bowlers with 2-38 off his ten overs.
Finchampstead’s total beat the 302-7 Reading had smashed off the Tew attack last season.
The hosts saw their target reduced twice by rain breaks, before they fell well short off their final aim of 276 off 40 overs, closing on 181-8.
Curtly Slatter hit 63 as Jonathan Dewes (3-24) and Tipene Friday (3-28) did the damage.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)
- Oxford United v Exeter City - LIVE
- Oxford United eye loan market for winger after permanent move for top target stalls
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Exeter?
- Simon Eastwood braced for ‘different’ mood as Oxford United set for low Checkatrade Trophy attendance
- FOOTBALL: Stuttering Oxford City beaten by ten-man Gosport Borough
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ella Franklin-Fraiture strike in vain as Oxford United fall to Durham defeat
- FOOTBALL: Superb North Leigh beat Swindon Supermarine to make four wins in a row
- DARTS: West Oxford Democrats Club survive scare to stay top of Section 2
- GOLF: Latest results from across Oxfordshire