Oxford's Jason Plato is determined to close the gap on leader Colin Turkington as he bids to maintain his Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship challenge at Knockhill in Scotland tomorrow.
The MG KX Clubcard Fuel Save driver stands in third place after two commanding victories and a fourth place at Snetterton as he returned from the summer break in style.
That saw him cut the gap on eBay Motors ace Turkington from 49 points down to 23.
Plato also trails Scotland’s Gordon Sheddon (Honda Yuasa Racing), who is in second place in the standings by 20 points as he heads for the track over the Forth Road Bridge, near Dunfermline.
“We are in a great place with the car, but I am behind in the points after the first half of the year,” said Plato.
“Now the car is good it’s time to claw points back in the championship.”
Shedden can’t wait to drive in front of his home crowd.
“Their support does give you an extra spring in your step,” he said.
Standings (top five): 1 C Turkington 279pts, 2 G Shedden 256, 3 J Plato 236, 4 A Jordan 201, 5 R Collard 184.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback
- FOOTBALL: Southern League previews for Didcot, Wantage, Kidlington and Banbury
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins record first victory as last kick misses target
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor bury battling opponents with six-try display to stay top of the table
- GOLF: Final pair seal Foursomes crown for Frilford Heath
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks' chances go west as Isca edge tight contest
- RUGBY UNION: Bicester scrape home to narrow derby win against Wallingford
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford are overpowered by Littlemore
- DARTS: Oxfordshire take on leaders Hampshire