Oxford's Jason Plato is determined to close the gap on leader Colin Turkington as he bids to maintain his Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship challenge at Knockhill in Scotland tomorrow.
The MG KX Clubcard Fuel Save driver stands in third place after two commanding victories and a fourth place at Snetterton as he returned from the summer break in style.
That saw him cut the gap on eBay Motors ace Turkington from 49 points down to 23.
Plato also trails Scotland’s Gordon Sheddon (Honda Yuasa Racing), who is in second place in the standings by 20 points as he heads for the track over the Forth Road Bridge, near Dunfermline.
“We are in a great place with the car, but I am behind in the points after the first half of the year,” said Plato.
“Now the car is good it’s time to claw points back in the championship.”
Shedden can’t wait to drive in front of his home crowd.
“Their support does give you an extra spring in your step,” he said.
Standings (top five): 1 C Turkington 279pts, 2 G Shedden 256, 3 J Plato 236, 4 A Jordan 201, 5 R Collard 184.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat