Oxford's Jason Plato is determined to close the gap on leader Colin Turkington as he bids to maintain his Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship challenge at Knockhill in Scotland tomorrow.
The MG KX Clubcard Fuel Save driver stands in third place after two commanding victories and a fourth place at Snetterton as he returned from the summer break in style.
That saw him cut the gap on eBay Motors ace Turkington from 49 points down to 23.
Plato also trails Scotland’s Gordon Sheddon (Honda Yuasa Racing), who is in second place in the standings by 20 points as he heads for the track over the Forth Road Bridge, near Dunfermline.
“We are in a great place with the car, but I am behind in the points after the first half of the year,” said Plato.
“Now the car is good it’s time to claw points back in the championship.”
Shedden can’t wait to drive in front of his home crowd.
“Their support does give you an extra spring in your step,” he said.
Standings (top five): 1 C Turkington 279pts, 2 G Shedden 256, 3 J Plato 236, 4 A Jordan 201, 5 R Collard 184.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- RUGBY UNION: Former Oxford-based club London Welsh go into liquidation
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four