JUNIOR Brown believes Oxford United will be inspired by a big crowd this afternoon as they host Portsmouth.
The attendance at the Kassam Stadium will be swelled by about 2,000 fans travelling up from the south coast, in what could be comfortably the largest away contingent for a league fixture at the ground all season.
United go into the game in urgent need of a good result, after starting the Sky Bet League Two campaign with three successive defeats.
Brown is fired up to make sure they do not end the day pointless.
He said: “It’s been frustrating it hasn’t quite happened, but we’ll be even more determined on Saturday because it’s a massive game.
“It’s a great opportunity to set the record straight and give the fans something back – hopefully we’ll get off the mark.”
The prospect of a boost in attendance has got the winger buzzing.
“As a footballer you want to go out and do your thing in front of as many people as you can,” he said.
“Although it’s a business, we’re here to entertain, so we want the fans to be excited in what they’re watching so they keep coming back.
“It will be a big occasion for the lads, but I think we’ll all thrive on it. It’s what we play for.”
The fixture sees U’s head coach Michael Appleton come up against one of his former clubs, having spent 12 months at Fratton Park up to November 2012.
Appleton is unsure of the reception he will get from the away fans, but is adamant United are close to turning performances into points.
“I’ll let people make their mind up and see what happens, but my focus is fully on Oxford United and continuing to progress on the field,” he said.
“I said to the players after the game on Tuesday (a 1-0 defeat at Morecambe) that someone very soon is going to take a hiding.
“It might not necessarily be Portsmouth on Saturday, but it is going to happen.
“I’ll take a 1-0 now, put it to bed and move on to the West Brom game, but let’s see what happens.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's FA Cup clash with Middlesbrough
- Oxford United's late FA Cup defeat is 'sickener' - Chris Maguire
- Middlesbrough 3 (Leadbitter 26, Gestede 34, Stuani 86), Oxford United 2 (Maguire 63, Martinez 65)
- UPDATES - Middlesbrough v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We’re not afraid of Boro and relishing a bumper away day
- Chris Maguire hopes Oxford United can grab the FA Cup headlines against Middlesbrough
- Oxford United players excited by enormous following for FA Cup tie, says Ryan Ledson
- ICE HOCKEY: Ben Payne back as Oxford City Stars seek double over Milton Keynes Thunder
- Bream come to top for Doug Robinson in Littlemore's Chandlers Cup
- SWIMMING: Formidable City of Oxford make it five county titles in a row