OXFORDSHIRE Under 17s put in a superb performance to beat Sussex by one wicket on first innings in their friendly at Blackstone, Hove.
With a number of regulars missing, Oxfordshire fielded several under-age players, but they defied their years to beat their hosts in a thrilling finish to a super late stand between Hendrick Robyns (70) and Adam Spears (40no).
Losing the toss, Oxfordshire were in the field on day one, and Sussex posted 279 all out in 81 overs.
Spears was the pick of the bowlers, taking 4-51 from 15 overs.
Max Mannering chipped in with 3-52 and Jonny Meardon bowled economically to take 2-39 from 16 overs.
Oxfordshire edged to 280-9 from 71 overs in reply.
Harry Thomas (53) and Harry Ackland (33) shared 65 for the first wicket, but the wheels fell off as they slumped to 170-7.
However, Robyns (70) and Spears (40no) steadied the ship to see Oxfordshire home.
Oxfordshire are next in action on Thursday when they host Leicestershire in the Royal London Under 17 Cup semi-final at Wormsley, with an 11am start.
Scores: Sussex Under 17 279 (T Haines 79, J Billings 61, N Smith 45, A Spears 4-51, M Mannering 3-52), Oxon Under 17 280-9 (H Robyns 70, H Thomas 53, A Spears 40no, H Ackland 33).
Oxon U16 213-9 (50 ovs, A Samiullah 76, G Beer 40, H Eltham 31), Gloucs U16 214-8 (45.4 ovs, J Waters 57, B Slade 41, H Eltham 3-18, R Packham 3-38).
Northants U16 255 (49ovs, G Groenland 83, M Levine 54, H Eltham 3-19, G Beer 3-54), Oxon U16 154 (42 ovs).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- I moved to Oxford United to realise potential, says Ryan Ledson
- Patient Joe Rothwell hoping first Oxford United start left a lasting impression
- Chris Maguire surprised to become viral star with Oxford United goal celebration
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United to believe they belong at Bramall Lane
- Chris Wilder: No place for Sheffield United to hide in "massive" game with Oxford United
- Oxford United confident new scoreboard will be installed shortly
- Benji Buchel call-up raises issue of Oxford United recalling Jack Stevens’ loan from Oxford City
- My Oxford United debut is a boost for all the club's youngsters - Miles Welch-Hayes
- OxVox column: Oxford United make a difference, thanks to generous supporters
- Michael Appleton happy with Oxford United options after Ryan Ledson's arrival