Nick Scott is fully aware that London Welsh’s friendly at Pontypridd tomorrow is the last chance to stake a claim for a starting place against Exeter Chiefs.
The Exiles travel to Sardis Road in their final pre-season fixture before the Aviva Premiership gets under way at the Kassam Stadium on September 7, when the Chiefs come to Oxford.
For Scott, a Championship winner with the Exiles 2012 and 2014, it’s a huge opportunity to make sure of a place in Justin Burnell’s plans.
“It’s the last chance to put a marker down to be in the team against Exeter on the opening weekend,” he said.
“We know how good a team Ponty are. It will be a huge challenge and they’ll be out to take our scalp.
“But it’s another opportunity to tweak things, try things, and improve our skills to go into the Premiership season on a high.”
Welsh will be hoping to return to winning ways after last Sunday’s 38-24 defeat at Wasps.
Scott, who went over for a first-half try, added: “It’s always good to get on the scoresheet.”
Meanwhile, Welsh's big-name summer signing, New Zealand scrum half Piri Weepu, arrived in the country yesterday ahead of the new season.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- ATHLETICS: Lawrence Clarke and Nathan Douglas selected for European Championships
- Details announced for Oxford United's EFL Cup tie at Birmingham City
- CRICKET: Shaun Cross takes four as Shipton cruise into last 16 of Davidstow Village Cup
- ATHLETICS: Clarke books ticket to Rio Olympics and vows best is yet to come
- ATHLETICS: Douglas claims British triple jump title, but yet to seal place to Rio
- WEEKEND RESULTS June 25 & 26
- CRICKET: Samad Fallah takes seven as Oxford rout Gerrards Cross
- ATHLETICS: Ennis delighted to reach 200m final
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas