JAMES Walter scored four touchdowns as Oxford Saints ended the season with a 34-20 home win over Leicester Falcons.
The success saw them finish second in the table, with seven wins from ten games, a significant improvement on last season, which yielded only four victories.
Walter set the tone with the Saints’ second possession of the game, breaking through to run in a 59-yard touchdown.
Leroy Holmes stretched the lead, catching a pass from quarterback Harry Brookmyre to claim his first career touchdown for Saints.
The extra point kick was successful, but Falcons hit back with a score of their own before half-time to make it 13-6.
The third quarter was more even, until James Sharples picked out Walter for his second score of the game.
Again the hosts added the extra point, before Falcons hit back once more, ending the third quarter trailing 20-13.
It remained close in the fourth quarter, as the visitors responded yet again following Walter’s third touchdown.
But with time running out, Walter’s fourth score of the game finally made sure of the result.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- I expect to score for Oxford United despite left-field switch – Ryan Taylor
- Michael Appleton searching for a cure to Oxford United's Jekyll & Hyde form
- Oxford United loan extension appeals to Charlie Raglan
- Port Vale chief drops hint over new signing ahead of Oxford United clash
- Oxford United to honour 1996 promotion winners
- FOOTBALL: General manager Justin Merritt backs Oxford City to build on Poole Town win
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town boss Andy Ballard moves quickly to fill Luke Carnell void
- RUGBY UNION: Alan Hancock backs youthful Oxford Harlequins to step up in South West 1 East
- FOOTBALL: Elliott Osborne-Ricketts leaves North Leigh for Kidlington
- RUGBY UNION: Injured Henry de Berker to miss Oxford University's match against Croatia