Aston Rowant’s dreams of a trip to the Caribbean were dashed as they fell to an agonising six-run home defeat against Reigate Priory in the Barbados & Smile Group Travel Cup semi-final.
Reigate, who won the Ryman Surrey Championship the previous day, were firm favourites for the tie in a competition where the winners go on to represent organisers, the Club Cricket Conference, in a tournament in Barbados.
However, Rowant started well with two run outs after the visitors decided to bat first.
Spinners Tahir Kazmi (3-17) and Adam Muttitt (3-14) then asserted a stranglehold on the Reigate batsmen, who lost regular wickets.
Only Will Irving, with 53 off 72 balls, which contained four boundaries and one six, looked to be in control as Reigate were eventually bowled out for 167 in the 43rd over.
But Rowant then also found runs hard to come by despite the efforts of Richard Cook (37) as left-arm spinner Luke Beavan took 4-9 off his six overs.
Skipper Wesley Morrick took Rowant close, but he was left unbeaten on 36 as the hosts fell short on 161-9, with ex-Kent and Surrey all-rounder Neil Saker taking 3-43.
Scores: Reigate Priory 167 (42.2 ovs,W Irving 53, R Stevens 30, A Muttitt 3-14, T Kazmi 3-17), Aston Rowant 161-9 (45 ovs, R Cook 37, W Morrick 36no, L Beaven 4-9, N Saker 3-43).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Roger James bags brace as North Leigh beat youthful Oxford United to lift Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- HORSE RACING: Mark Bradstock thrilled with Coneygree's return to action
- FOOTBALL: Arran Gray’s hat-trick clinches North Berks League Division 4 title for Blewbury
- FOOTBALL: Superlative Kidlington make it perfect season in Oxford Mail Under 12 Girls League
- FOOTBALL: Chequers win dramatic Oxford City FA Premier Cup final on penalties
- FOOTBALL: Dan Bott’s brace helps Chipping Norton to finish fourth in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City’s ladies ease to cup final win
- FOOTBALL: Wayne Blossom shines with double as KEA secure Oxfordshire Junior Shield
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: George Corti’s four-timer is in vain for Botley Boys
- Roger James double sees North Leigh beat Oxford United to lift Oxon Senior Cup