Oxfordshire's Alan Ley and Mike Petersen suffered an agonising 20-18 defeat in the Bowls England Men’s National Senior Pairs Championship final at Royal Leamington Spa.
Holding a one-shot advantage going into the last end of their clash with Derbyshire’s Les Jinks and Dave Brennan, the Oxford City & County duo dropped three shots to finish runners-up.
Ley said: “We led all the way up until the very last end and lost it.
“We had mixed emotions really. We were very pleased that we got there and very disappointed to lose it by two shots at the end.”
Ley and Petersen had beaten Gloucestershire’s Vince Wilks and Dougie Lewis 21-13 in the semi-finals of the over 55s competition at Victoria Park.
In the last eight, the Oxford City & County pair eased past Middlesex’s Ron Edgar and David Pitt 24-15.
They had opened their challenge with a 27-18 victory against Leicestershire’s Michael Haywood and John Godden, before overcoming Peter Lowe and Colin Gray 18-11 in round two.
Watlington’s Sam Watts went out of the National Junior Singles Championship with a 21-17 defeat by Tristan Morton (Warboys, Huntingdonshire) in the second round.
He had beaten Joe Renshaw (Blaby, Leicestershire) 21-17 in the first round, where Banbury Borough’s George Schwab fell 21-12 to David Forster (Whitehaven).
Fours preliminary round: J Nicholls, I Henwood, J King & M Charlett 30 (Headington), D Wilson, J Yates, J Paveling & N Williams (Heaton Hall, Lancs) 20. 1st round: J Nicholls, I Henwood, J King & M Charlett 17, R Williams, S Salter, N Kunc & T Salter (Street, Somerset) 20; M Nash, N Rae, P Mabbutt & N Rae-Welsh (Headington) 18, K Harrison, P Irving, M Irwin & S Irwin (Aspatria, Cumbria) 21.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Patient Joe Rothwell hoping first Oxford United start left a lasting impression
- Chris Maguire surprised to become viral star with Oxford United goal celebration
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United to believe they belong at Bramall Lane
- Chris Wilder: No place for Sheffield United to hide in "massive" game with Oxford United
- Oxford United confident new scoreboard will be installed shortly
- Benji Buchel call-up raises issue of Oxford United recalling Jack Stevens’ loan from Oxford City
- My Oxford United debut is a boost for all the club's youngsters - Miles Welch-Hayes
- OxVox column: Oxford United make a difference, thanks to generous supporters
- I moved to Oxford United to realise potential, says Ryan Ledson
- Michael Appleton happy with Oxford United options after Ryan Ledson's arrival