Oxfordshire's Alan Ley and Mike Petersen suffered an agonising 20-18 defeat in the Bowls England Men’s National Senior Pairs Championship final at Royal Leamington Spa.
Holding a one-shot advantage going into the last end of their clash with Derbyshire’s Les Jinks and Dave Brennan, the Oxford City & County duo dropped three shots to finish runners-up.
Ley said: “We led all the way up until the very last end and lost it.
“We had mixed emotions really. We were very pleased that we got there and very disappointed to lose it by two shots at the end.”
Ley and Petersen had beaten Gloucestershire’s Vince Wilks and Dougie Lewis 21-13 in the semi-finals of the over 55s competition at Victoria Park.
In the last eight, the Oxford City & County pair eased past Middlesex’s Ron Edgar and David Pitt 24-15.
They had opened their challenge with a 27-18 victory against Leicestershire’s Michael Haywood and John Godden, before overcoming Peter Lowe and Colin Gray 18-11 in round two.
Watlington’s Sam Watts went out of the National Junior Singles Championship with a 21-17 defeat by Tristan Morton (Warboys, Huntingdonshire) in the second round.
He had beaten Joe Renshaw (Blaby, Leicestershire) 21-17 in the first round, where Banbury Borough’s George Schwab fell 21-12 to David Forster (Whitehaven).
Fours preliminary round: J Nicholls, I Henwood, J King & M Charlett 30 (Headington), D Wilson, J Yates, J Paveling & N Williams (Heaton Hall, Lancs) 20. 1st round: J Nicholls, I Henwood, J King & M Charlett 17, R Williams, S Salter, N Kunc & T Salter (Street, Somerset) 20; M Nash, N Rae, P Mabbutt & N Rae-Welsh (Headington) 18, K Harrison, P Irving, M Irwin & S Irwin (Aspatria, Cumbria) 21.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United net glamour pre-season date with Premier League champions Leicester City
- Oxford United add Barnet trip to pre-season schedule
- FOOTBALL: Teams to play in tournament in memory of Derek Measor
- FOOTBALL: Charlbury Town Under 12s land national title with 2-0 victory at King Power Stadium
- CRICKET: Cherwell League round-up – Dominant Cumnor again thwarted by weather
- CRICKET: OCA League round-up – Atkins stars as Charlbury beat Stonesfield and the rain
- AUNT SALLY: Magnificent Andy Lewis goes close to joining the maximum men in Greene King Oxford & District League
- Oxford United will not blow salary structure for summer signings, says boss Michael Appleton
- Oxford United's Kemar Roofe is front-runner in PFA poll for League Two player of the season
- Callum O'Dowda hoping to live up to Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill's high praise