Oxford City & County’s Alan Ley chalked up another landmark with his 800th game for Oxfordshire in their 129-89 win over Buckinghamshire in a friendly at Long Crendon.
Ley, who made his Oxon debut in 1966 at the old Blue Circle club, near Kidlington, was unable to mark the milestone with a rink victory as his four were pipped 17-16.
The 66-year-old beat the previous record of 459 set by Walter Lester while playing for Summertown in 1992.
His remarkable tally is also believed to be a record for any county in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
Reflecting on the achievement, Ley said: “It hasn’t been done for any reason. It has just happened – the games have just accumulated.
“It is great to get there. I still enjoy it and they still keep picking me.”
Ley wasn’t the only Oxfordshire bowler reaching a milestone in the match as Bicester’s Allan Hall was awarded a 100-game badge.
He celebrated by helping skip Melvyn Brain’s rink to a 33-13 victory.
Both counties were one player short and so one of the rinks was played as a triple.
Steady scoring by all but one side meant that Oxfordshire were always in charge as four of their six sides returned wins.
Meanwhile, Ley is set to embark on his next century when he makes appearance No 801 as Oxfordshire take on Gloucestershire at Witney Town on Wednesday.
Buckinghamshire 89, Oxfordshire 129 (Oxon rink scores): E Dorling, J Timms, B Gilkes (triple) won 20-13; B Willoughby, J Stephens, D Wedge, C Weller lost 23-13; V Webb, K Washington, H Franklin, M Petersen won 25-10; P Demczak, M Jones, L Days, M Andrew won 22-13; G Penn, P Brittin, D Bullock, A Ley lost 17-16; M Cameron, C Haley, A Hall, M Brain won 33-13.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United hoping Kane Hemmings can end unlucky goalscoring record at Bolton Wanderers
- Oxford United are unfazed by away record ahead of Bolton Wanderers trip, says skipper John Lundstram
- SWIMMING: Lilia Gilbert steals show with ten-medal haul for Didcot Barramundi
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Jon Bishop's break of 45 guides Thame to victory
- BOXING: South Moreton's Gavin Lissenden defends Queensbury League title
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United
- Michael Appleton warns Oxford United of wounded Bolton Wanderers
- Chey Dunkley’s determined to continue rate of progress at Oxford United
- It's not a world I recognise, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton as football is rocked by corruption charges