Oxfordshire's Carole Galletly and Caroline Campion reached the Bowls England Women’s National Pairs Championship semi-finals before seeing their title dreams shattered.
The Banbury Central pair bowed out with a 21-13 defeat by eventual winners Lynda Smith and Tracy Powell (Leominster, Herefordshire) at Royal Leamington Spa.
In the last eight, they had defeated Laura Holden and Stef Branfield (Clevedon, Somerset) 18-15.
Oxford City & County’s Myra Lewis and Gail Gilkes went out at the same stage, 27-23 to Sophie Tolchard and Natalie Melmore (Kings, Devon), who went on to be runners-up.
Galletly and Campion had opened up with a 25-13 victory over Shirley Plummer and Jill Lambert (Rookery, Suffolk), while Lewis and Gilkes swept aside Janet Vinter and Pauline Richardson (Boston West End, Lincolnshire) 25-13.
Round two saw the Banbury Central pair crush Jacki Pearce and Janet Willis (Stratton Churchway, Whiltshire) 26-10, while the Oxford City & County duo overcame Chris Gowshall and Amy Gowshall (Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire) 19-12.
Galletly and Campion marched on with a 24-15 win over Linda Churchman and Cheryl Salisbury (March Town, Cambridgeshire) in the third round, where Lewis and Gilkes beat Elspeth Summers and Joyce Barrett (Grampound, Cornwall) 21-12.
Junior pairs 1st round: H Overton & L Brett (Hunts) 27, K Bland & J Alder (West Witney) 10.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Macclesfield Town 0, Oxford United 0
- UPDATES - Maccclesfield Town v Oxford United
- Macclesfield tie is chance to repeat Oxford United’s FA Cup heroics – boss Michael Appleton
- Jonny Giles has ability and attitude to succeed, says City boss ahead of winger's return to Oxford United
- Fit-again Joe Rothwell hoping for Oxford United recall in John Lundstram's absence
- Paul Moody cannot wait for reunion 20 years in the making to celebrate Oxford United’s big finish
- Oxford United goalkeeper Simon Eastwood desperate to avoid becoming Emirates FA Cup headline
- Head coach Michael Appleton likely to shuffle Oxford United pack for Macclesfield Town clash
- RUGBY UNION: Naming Varsity Match squad has heightened Oxford University's focus, says captain Fergus Taylor
- GOLF: Triple bogey destroys Eddie Pepperell's chances of making the halfway cut