Oxfordshire's Carole Galletly and Caroline Campion reached the Bowls England Women’s National Pairs Championship semi-finals before seeing their title dreams shattered.
The Banbury Central pair bowed out with a 21-13 defeat by eventual winners Lynda Smith and Tracy Powell (Leominster, Herefordshire) at Royal Leamington Spa.
In the last eight, they had defeated Laura Holden and Stef Branfield (Clevedon, Somerset) 18-15.
Oxford City & County’s Myra Lewis and Gail Gilkes went out at the same stage, 27-23 to Sophie Tolchard and Natalie Melmore (Kings, Devon), who went on to be runners-up.
Galletly and Campion had opened up with a 25-13 victory over Shirley Plummer and Jill Lambert (Rookery, Suffolk), while Lewis and Gilkes swept aside Janet Vinter and Pauline Richardson (Boston West End, Lincolnshire) 25-13.
Round two saw the Banbury Central pair crush Jacki Pearce and Janet Willis (Stratton Churchway, Whiltshire) 26-10, while the Oxford City & County duo overcame Chris Gowshall and Amy Gowshall (Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire) 19-12.
Galletly and Campion marched on with a 24-15 win over Linda Churchman and Cheryl Salisbury (March Town, Cambridgeshire) in the third round, where Lewis and Gilkes beat Elspeth Summers and Joyce Barrett (Grampound, Cornwall) 21-12.
Junior pairs 1st round: H Overton & L Brett (Hunts) 27, K Bland & J Alder (West Witney) 10.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- There are some good signs, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton after 2-2 draw at Port Vale
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Curtis Nelson calls on Oxford United to learn from Port Vale draw
- Oxford United defender Joe Skarz happy with return from injury but frustrated with Port Vale draw
- FOOTBALL: Skipper Scott Davies is sent off as depleted Oxford City hold on for point
- Weekend results: October 22 & 23
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United's fine unbeaten run is ended at hands of Frome
- FOOTBALL: Last-gasp Jordan Graham goal earns Didcot Town a point at Hereford
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith pleased with points haul at Phillip Island
- MOTORSPORT: Felipe Massa lands top ten spot for Williams at US Grand Prix