Oxfordshire's Carole Galletly and Caroline Campion reached the Bowls England Women’s National Pairs Championship semi-finals before seeing their title dreams shattered.
The Banbury Central pair bowed out with a 21-13 defeat by eventual winners Lynda Smith and Tracy Powell (Leominster, Herefordshire) at Royal Leamington Spa.
In the last eight, they had defeated Laura Holden and Stef Branfield (Clevedon, Somerset) 18-15.
Oxford City & County’s Myra Lewis and Gail Gilkes went out at the same stage, 27-23 to Sophie Tolchard and Natalie Melmore (Kings, Devon), who went on to be runners-up.
Galletly and Campion had opened up with a 25-13 victory over Shirley Plummer and Jill Lambert (Rookery, Suffolk), while Lewis and Gilkes swept aside Janet Vinter and Pauline Richardson (Boston West End, Lincolnshire) 25-13.
Round two saw the Banbury Central pair crush Jacki Pearce and Janet Willis (Stratton Churchway, Whiltshire) 26-10, while the Oxford City & County duo overcame Chris Gowshall and Amy Gowshall (Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire) 19-12.
Galletly and Campion marched on with a 24-15 win over Linda Churchman and Cheryl Salisbury (March Town, Cambridgeshire) in the third round, where Lewis and Gilkes beat Elspeth Summers and Joyce Barrett (Grampound, Cornwall) 21-12.
Junior pairs 1st round: H Overton & L Brett (Hunts) 27, K Bland & J Alder (West Witney) 10.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton
- Tough pre-season games are helping Oxford United get set for League One, says Chey Dunkley
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United women pay for individual errors as they lose late on to Everton
- MOTORSPORT: Sean Walkinshaw looking forward to competing at Spa
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL continue losing sequence away to Coventry Bears
- FOOTBALL: Mark Janes scores twice for Banbury United after signing from Didcot Town
- DARTS: Tributes paid to young Oxon player Ryan Bull after death at 20
- GOLF: Heythrop Park to host Challenge Tour event
- GOLF: Lucie Feaver so hungry for more after taking on world
- Liam Sercombe gets fitness boost but Oxford United await news on Alex MacDonald scan