CHAD Keegan and Karl Penhale were the heroes as Oxfordshire recorded their first win of the Unicorns Counties Championship campaign in their final match after a eight-wicket success over Cheshire at Nantwich CC.
The victory means Oxon will avoid the wooden spoon, and also denied their hosts the title.
Resuming on 39-3, Cheshire were soon in trouble against the Oxon attack as Keegan and Penhale returned five-wicket hauls – Penhale’s first in Minor Counties cricket.
Keegan finished with match figures of 10-104, and hit 84 in Oxfordshire’s first innings.
Chasing 140, the visitors shrugged off the dismissals of Hugo Darby and Vishane Perera to cruise home with Lloyd Sabin (59no) and Richard Kaufman (36no) in fine form.
Oxon’s attention now turns to the final of the Unicorns Counties Trophy final at Wormsley next Wednesday.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Liam Sercombe relishing seeing Oxford United teammates again – but not looking forward to pre-season tests
- HOCKEY: Dan Fox gets Olympic call
- AUNT SALLY: Lee Thompson and Mick Berry help steer Swan A to top of Premier Section
- CRICKET: Swashbuckling Nigel Hume hammers 46-ball century as unbeaten Faringdon march on
- AUNT SALLY: Dave Dix so close to maximum in Abingdon & District League
- CRICKET: Dan White's the man for Hook Norton but rain has final say against Great Horwood
- CRICKET: Hanney book Osberton Radiators Cup semi-final place
- AUNT SALLY: Abingdon United's Barry Parker becomes world champion
- Christian Ribeiro: Oxford United's displays against Exeter City convinced me to sign
- GOLF: Neil Rowlands withdraws halfway through Open qualifying