CHAD Keegan and Karl Penhale were the heroes as Oxfordshire recorded their first win of the Unicorns Counties Championship campaign in their final match after a eight-wicket success over Cheshire at Nantwich CC.
The victory means Oxon will avoid the wooden spoon, and also denied their hosts the title.
Resuming on 39-3, Cheshire were soon in trouble against the Oxon attack as Keegan and Penhale returned five-wicket hauls – Penhale’s first in Minor Counties cricket.
Keegan finished with match figures of 10-104, and hit 84 in Oxfordshire’s first innings.
Chasing 140, the visitors shrugged off the dismissals of Hugo Darby and Vishane Perera to cruise home with Lloyd Sabin (59no) and Richard Kaufman (36no) in fine form.
Oxon’s attention now turns to the final of the Unicorns Counties Trophy final at Wormsley next Wednesday.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat