Oxford City’s general manager Justin Merritt says Kynan Isaac has the ability to be a great success after he signed for Sky Bet League Two side Luton Town.
The pacy 21-year-old, who was in his second spell at City, having been at Banbury United last season, has penned on a one-year deal after a successful week’s trial with the Hatters.
Isaac, who helped City to promotion via the Southern League play-offs, first came to Merritt’s attention when he was boss of Oxford City Nomads.
And he says Luton manager John Still could have signed a real bargain.
“I know they have 28 players on their books, but it’s a good opportunity for Kynan,” said Merritt.
“He’s got the ability to go past people – he’s got bags of talent.
“Kynan can finish, he can cross a ball and can play upfront, out wide or even at full back.
“No-one has ever questioned his ability, but if they can instil some discipline into him, then they will have themselves a very good player.
“They’re not looking at a big risk.”
Merritt added: “There’s no fee involved. He was due to sign a deal with us for a year, but we wanted to see what happened at Luton.
“It would have been different if he had been on a contract.”
Merritt says City face the toughest test of their unbeaten start when Chorley visit tomorrow in Vanarama Conference North.
“Hyde were a footballing side while Worcester were strong and direct, so we’ve had questions asked of us.”
“It’s going to be a good test because Chorley have had a good start.
“I’m more concerned what we do and we are nowhere near where we want to be, but we’re moving in the right direction.”
City give a late fitness test to Josh Green (ankle) while Darren Pond is sidelined with a hip injury.
Darren Mullings and Alejandro Santiago, sent off against Hyde and Worcester respectively, can still play as their bans have not been activated.
Oxford City: from Scott, Benjamin, Lapoujade, Malone, Santiago, Brown, Barcelos, Mullings, Yussuf, del Alamo, Rodriguez, Winters, Cook, Wilson, Stonehouse, Green.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Roger James bags brace as North Leigh beat youthful Oxford United to lift Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- HORSE RACING: Mark Bradstock thrilled with Coneygree's return to action
- FOOTBALL: Arran Gray’s hat-trick clinches North Berks League Division 4 title for Blewbury
- FOOTBALL: Superlative Kidlington make it perfect season in Oxford Mail Under 12 Girls League
- FOOTBALL: Chequers win dramatic Oxford City FA Premier Cup final on penalties
- FOOTBALL: Dan Bott’s brace helps Chipping Norton to finish fourth in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City’s ladies ease to cup final win
- FOOTBALL: Wayne Blossom shines with double as KEA secure Oxfordshire Junior Shield
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: George Corti’s four-timer is in vain for Botley Boys
- Roger James double sees North Leigh beat Oxford United to lift Oxon Senior Cup