ALEX Jakubiak is determined his age will not prevent him from making an important contribution to Oxford United after signing on loan from Watford.
The Scotland youth international striker, who does not turn 18 until later this month, completed a deal yesterday which will keep him at the club until January.
Jakubiak’s senior debut came in a loan spell at Braintree Town last season, while he started Watford’s final game of the campaign, a 4-1 home defeat to Huddersfield Town.
He is excited to get the chance to play regularly, something which was unlikely in the Championship side this season, and has no intention of just making up the numbers.
He said: “No-one wants to sit on the bench at any level.
“I don't feel my age plays a part in that, I've come here to play regularly so I'm not going to settle for the bench, I want to be starting.
“I’ve started for Watford in the Championship and playing at Braintree was good.
“Adding it all together with the international games, I think for a 17-year-old I've got quite a bit of experience.”
Signing the deal completed a whirlwind 24 hours for the youngster, who played for Scotland Under 19s in a 2-0 defeat away to Belgium Under 19s on Tuesday night.
Despite having his own game to focus on, Jakubiak was keeping a keen eye on United’s Capital One Cup heroics at Bristol City.
He said: “I was watching the scores.
“I checked and saw they were losing, but when they scored in the 87th minute, I was buzzing.
“I hadn't even signed, but I was really happy they'd won.”
U’s head coach Michael Appleton was pleased to clinch the deal, but it does not end his bid to strengthen the squad.
He said: “There’s still two and a half weeks of the transfer window to go.
“I still think we need at least another couple more.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Latest United news:
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw at Macclesfield Town
- Alex MacDonald hails Simon Eastwood for keeping Oxford United in FA Cup
- Macclesfield Town 0, Oxford United 0
- Macclesfield tie is chance to repeat Oxford United’s FA Cup heroics – boss Michael Appleton
- Jonny Giles has ability and attitude to succeed, says City boss ahead of winger's return to Oxford United