BRADLEY Smith has set his sights on achieving his full potential after signing a new contract at Monster Yamaha Tech3.
The deal will keep the rider from Forest Hill in the elite series for the 2015 season – and it extends his stay with the team into a fifth year.
Smith spent the first two seasons with the French team in Moto2, before moving up to MotoGP in 2012.
He sits ninth in the championship after a patchy campaign so far, but was boosted by a sixth-placed finish at Indianapolis on Sunday.
The 23-year-old is delighted to stay on and is now aiming to deliver.
He said: “There’s been a lot of emotion in re-signing, so I’m really happy with the end result and that everything is finally sorted.
“Also, it’s positive mentally to have next year clear whilst going into the second half of this season.
“For me, it’s now time to start achieving and performing to my full potential, which I don’t believe we have seen yet.
“I know that with this team they can support me to get where I am capable of being and beyond plus furthermore, get the results that I need not only for myself, but for the sponsors and everyone involved in this elite operation.”
Team manager Hervé Poncharal hopes the conttract will remove any uncertainty about the Oxfordshire rider’s future, allowing him to attack the rest of the season.
He said: “We know each other well, plus he is part of the family so this will be the fifth year of us working together and he will be the second longest serving Tech3 rider behind Olivier Jacque.
“This year has not been easy for him so far due to the high expectations after the winter test and the first race in Qatar.
“But he never gave up, so together with Yamaha and Tech3 we believe he is the best choice of rider for 2015.
“I believe that him and Pol (Espargaro, teammate) are getting on really well together and will push each other the strong results.
“I am very happy to welcome Bradley back for one more year and I hope this agreement will help him to finish the second half of the year in a more relaxed state of mind.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Barnet 3 (Weston 7, Akinde 11 & pen 66), Oxford United 3 (Thomas 43 & 46, Crowley 81)
- LIVE -Barnet v Oxford United
- Oxford United prepared for physical test in final pre-season friendly at Barnet
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City lose Marlon Jackson to Newport County
- FOOTBALL: Manager Les Taylor confident Oxford United women will rise to big occasion
- SWIMMING: Emily Nisbet wins medals in Scottish Championships
- ANGLING: Ian Young wins Oxford Summer League on low-scoring day
- MARTIAL ARTS: Katie Franks lands three world titles
- MOTORVRACING: Valtteri Bottas eyes strong showing for Williams in Germany
- CRICKET: Horspath youngsters make it a hat-trick of titles