Katherine Hawes described Oxford City & County’s triumph in the Bowls England Women’s National Fours Championship as a “wonderful achievement”.
Hawes skipped the quartet of Myra Lewis, Donna Knight and Gail Gilkes to a 25-15 victory over Brenda Bishop’s side from Kings-thorpe, Northamptonshire, in the final at Royal Leamington Spa.
The England international said: “After a hard season it is really nice to come out with a national title.
“They are not easy to get, but we keep trying and we are all over the moon.”
The City & County four will now represent England in the British Isles Women’s International Series back at Victoria Park next June.
Hawes and Gilkes, England’s women’s team manager at the Commonwealth Games, have enjoyed success on the national stage before.
But, with the exception of the Top Club title, it was a new landmark for teammates Knight and Lewis.
Hawes added: “Myself and Gail said what we would like to do is to win national titles, but they don’t come along every day and so to achieve one, especially one that goes to the British Isles is a wonderful achievement.
“It is very exciting because the other two have not won a national title before, except for the Top Club.”
City & County’s fab four came through six matches to take the title.
They were pushed all the way in the quarter-finals and semi-finals, with a 19-18 win over Pat Reynolds’ four from Parkway, Huntingdonshire, and a 21-20 victory against Stef Branfield’s side, from Clevedon, 21-20 respectively.
In the latter match, the two fours were locked together at 20-20, with the Somerset side holding shot when Gilkes delivered what Hawes described as “an absolute pearler of a bowl” to snatch victory.
Hawes, meanwhile, reach-ed the quarter-finals of the National Singles Championship before bowing out 21-8 to eventual runner-up Sue Evans (Honiton, Devon).
The City & County star had thrashed Pam Channon (Helston, Cornwall) 21-2 in the last 16.
In the opening round, she won 21-15 against Hannah Overton (Parkway, Huntingdonshire), before then beating Sian Honnor (Homefield Park, Sussex) 21-12.
Triples preliminary round: G Jameson, A Robson & N Craig (Burradon, Northumberland) 20, D Knight, G Gilkes & K Hawes (Oxford City & County) 17. 1st round: S Mayo, M Lewis & J Berry (Oxford City & County) 16, J Marsh, M Knowles & S Hugill (Richmond, Yorkshire) 12. 2nd round: C Sage, D Whybrow & J Sellek (Bushey, Herts) 19, S Mayo, M Lewis & J Berry 10.
Two-wood singles prelim round: K Westwood (Whitehaven, Cumbria) 10, D Knight (Oxford City & County) 16. 1st round: D Knight 9, J Bell (Hatfield, Herts) 16; C Galletly (Banbury Central) 15, M Hayes (Ashford Rail, Kent) 12; M Snook (Boxford, Suffolk) 9, H Simpson (Shrivenham) 14. 2nd round: H Simpson 17, P Thornton (Dukeries, Notts) 14; L Galloway (Stute, Derbyshire) 6, C Galletly 17. 3rd round: H Simpson 14, J Leake (Poole Park, Dorset) 15; S Davies (Broadway, Wrocs) 18, C Galletly 8.
Senior singles 1st round: M Lewis (Oxford City & County) 21, S Maguire (Notts) 13. 2nd round: M Lewis 21, H Skinner (Herefordshire) 21-4. Quarter-final: S Davies (Worcestershire) 21, M Lewis 4.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Kane Hemmings out to make immediate impact at Oxford United
- Majority of Oxford United fans in poll prepared to boycott EFL Trophy
- ATHLETICS: Brilliant Tom Anstice claims three titles and breaks Radley club record
- BOWLS: Singles champion Chris Gilkes comes so close to historic Oxfordshire title double
- BOWLS: Headington and Carterton to vie for Oxfordshire League crown
- ATHLETICS: James Bolton wins Waddesdon Manor 5km title
- RUGBY UNION: Scrum half Greg Goodfellow backs Richard Thorpe to be big hit at Chinnor
- BAR BILLIARDS: Berinsfield in fine form in Johnson’s Buildbase Oxford & District Summer League
- Oxford United sign striker Kane Hemmings from Dundee in six-figure move
- WATCH: Videos of Oxford United's new signing Kane Hemmings scoring for Dundee