OXFORD City Stars believe they have sent out a strong message to the rest of the National Division 1 after securing the signature of Romanian international Zsolt Mastaleriu.
The defenceman not only plays for his country, he has also gained a wealth of experience in the MOL Liga – an international league pitting the best clubs from Romania, Slovakia and Hungary against each other.
Mastaleriu will line up alongside Canadian giant Kyle Flemington as the Stars’ two imported players for the season, in what should prove to be a formidable defence.
It’s the start of a new era for the 25-year-old, who will be moving to the UK for the first time.
He is looking forward to getting on the ice.
“I’ve been here in Oxford for the past few days getting settled in and everyone has been fantastic so far,” he said.
“Oxford looks like a fantastic city.
“Some of the guys have been showing me around and I’m really looking forward to getting started for the Stars.”
Head coach Darren Elliott is excited about his latest signing.
“We looked at a quite a few import players, but we were looking for defensive players and Zsolt fit the bill,” the Stars chief said.
“He was really keen to come over from Romania – he speaks very good English and played for his country in the recent World Championships.
“He’s a big strong player and brings an added solidity to our team.
“With his experience as well, he’s really the full package.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United sign striker Kane Hemmings from Dundee in six-figure move
- WATCH: Videos of Oxford United's new signing Kane Hemmings scoring for Dundee
- Oxford United set for double signing to boost firepower after friendly defeat by Brighton
- Oxford United's EFL Trophy group opponents include Chelsea and Swindon Town + POLL
- CRICKET: Tom Condon's century keeps up Aston Rowant's Cherwell title challenge
- AUNT SALLY: Darren Cox's super 16 renews Florence Park's title bid
- CRICKET: Rob Owen's super century helps Faringdon bounce back with Charlbury victory
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton