CENTURIES old rivalries between Oxford and Cambridge will be put to a new test this autumn when student riders go head-to-head in the first Flat race between the two universities at Newmarket’s historic Rowley Mile course on Dubai Future Champions Day on Friday, October 17.
Sporting competition between the two seats of learning has been a feature since the first annual Boat Race in 1829.
But, until now, the two universities have never faced each other on the racecourse, despite both boasting active equestrian clubs.
Five riders from each university will don racing colours in the distinctive blues made famous by other sporting rivalries, including rugby union and rugby league Varsity matches, and do battle over a mile.
Oxford captain Lizzy Hamilton, who is studying chemistry at Christ Church College, said: “I cannot wait to take part in the Varsity horse race – it’s a superb initiative.
“Rivalry between the universities of Oxford and Cambridge goes back so many centuries and we cannot wait to compete against Cambridge on the racecourse.”
Student Harry Beckett, who first conceived of the idea, commented; “I’ve spent two years trying to get this race off the ground so I’m delighted to see it come to fruition.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Kane Hemmings eyeing big push from Oxford United
- ANGLING: Martin Phipps leaves rivals in the cold
- TRAMPOLINING: Windrush Valley girls land regional team crown
- GYMNASTICS: Abingdon's Lili-Mae Snuggs claims top-ten spots in national championships
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Thame A go top of Oxford League after victory over Green Road A
- TABLE TENNIS: Chris Smith's epic victory give Forum victory over Vikings
- Chris Maguire loving life at Oxford United – but it's 'too early' for contract talks
- Rob Hall eyes final fitness milestone in Oxford United's clash with Oldham Athletic
- Young Oxford United squad need me to be an assertive leader – Michael Appleton
- Oldham Athletic skipper calls for FA Cup response at Oxford United