CENTURIES old rivalries between Oxford and Cambridge will be put to a new test this autumn when student riders go head-to-head in the first Flat race between the two universities at Newmarket’s historic Rowley Mile course on Dubai Future Champions Day on Friday, October 17.
Sporting competition between the two seats of learning has been a feature since the first annual Boat Race in 1829.
But, until now, the two universities have never faced each other on the racecourse, despite both boasting active equestrian clubs.
Five riders from each university will don racing colours in the distinctive blues made famous by other sporting rivalries, including rugby union and rugby league Varsity matches, and do battle over a mile.
Oxford captain Lizzy Hamilton, who is studying chemistry at Christ Church College, said: “I cannot wait to take part in the Varsity horse race – it’s a superb initiative.
“Rivalry between the universities of Oxford and Cambridge goes back so many centuries and we cannot wait to compete against Cambridge on the racecourse.”
Student Harry Beckett, who first conceived of the idea, commented; “I’ve spent two years trying to get this race off the ground so I’m delighted to see it come to fruition.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Port Vale
- Port Vale 2 (Cicilia 54, Taylor pen 59), Oxford United 2 (Dunkley 11, Crowley 19)
- UPDATES - Port Vale v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Coventry proved frustrating but we will show our mettle today at Port Vale
- Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley and Tyler Roberts pushing for Oxford United starting roles at Port Vale
- Joe Rothwell wants reaction from Oxford United
- SNOOKER/BILLIARDS: Neil Craycraft stars in Abingdon Conservatives' whitewash
- MOTORSPORT: Williams seeking boost for US Grand prix
- SKATER HOCKEY: Adam Harris thrilled to be making his debut for GB
- ANGLING: Steve Harwood loses out by a ounce in Oxford Winter League