HANNAH England qualified comfortably for Friday’s final of the women’s 1,500m at the European Athletics Championships in Zurich yesterday, writes STUART WEIR.
The Oxford City athlete recorded 4mins 10.73secs to go through as one of four fastest losers, finishing fifth in the second heat.
The first four in each race went through, with the next four fastest finishers also progressing.
After a very slow first heat, won by Sweden’s Abeba Aregawi in 4.11.64, England’s task was easier, but she made no mistake.
“We were checking the time at the bell and I knew we were going to be all right as the first heat wasn’t that fast,” she said.
“I was pleased with my position. I kept out of trouble relatively – although got clipped a little from behind, but not much.
“I just made sure I did not have bodies to get round which was good.”
Britain’s Laura Weightman also made the final, but Laura Muir missed out.
Oxfordshire’s Lawrence Clarke goes in the heats of 110m hurdles at 10.40 this morning.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet
- Kate Williamson, 70, stunned to be going head-to-head with Olympic silver medallist in Oxfordshire Sports Awards
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough edge into last four of Fred Ford Cup with shoot-out victory against Aston
- FOOTBALL: Saxton Rovers send North Berks League Division 1 leaders Berinsfield to first defeat
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers