HANNAH England qualified comfortably for Friday’s final of the women’s 1,500m at the European Athletics Championships in Zurich yesterday, writes STUART WEIR.
The Oxford City athlete recorded 4mins 10.73secs to go through as one of four fastest losers, finishing fifth in the second heat.
The first four in each race went through, with the next four fastest finishers also progressing.
After a very slow first heat, won by Sweden’s Abeba Aregawi in 4.11.64, England’s task was easier, but she made no mistake.
“We were checking the time at the bell and I knew we were going to be all right as the first heat wasn’t that fast,” she said.
“I was pleased with my position. I kept out of trouble relatively – although got clipped a little from behind, but not much.
“I just made sure I did not have bodies to get round which was good.”
Britain’s Laura Weightman also made the final, but Laura Muir missed out.
Oxfordshire’s Lawrence Clarke goes in the heats of 110m hurdles at 10.40 this morning.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton confident Oxford United are close to new signing
- Oxford United denied cash boost from Kemar Roofe transfer after Leeds United's failure to make play-offs
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire clinch first Twickenham win after dramatic finale
- RESULTS: May 27-28
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League reports
- MOTORSPORT: Haas and Williams in the points at Monaco Grand Prix
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire beat Sussex in dramatic Twickenham final
- TWICKENHAM: Captain Allan Purchase honoured to lead Oxfordshire in County Championship Plate final
- TWICKENHAM: Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows eyeing glory after heartbreak as a player
- TWICKENHAM: Banbury duo Ed Phillips and Sam Stoop relishing chance to make history for Oxfordshire