HANNAH England qualified comfortably for Friday’s final of the women’s 1,500m at the European Athletics Championships in Zurich yesterday, writes STUART WEIR.
The Oxford City athlete recorded 4mins 10.73secs to go through as one of four fastest losers, finishing fifth in the second heat.
The first four in each race went through, with the next four fastest finishers also progressing.
After a very slow first heat, won by Sweden’s Abeba Aregawi in 4.11.64, England’s task was easier, but she made no mistake.
“We were checking the time at the bell and I knew we were going to be all right as the first heat wasn’t that fast,” she said.
“I was pleased with my position. I kept out of trouble relatively – although got clipped a little from behind, but not much.
“I just made sure I did not have bodies to get round which was good.”
Britain’s Laura Weightman also made the final, but Laura Muir missed out.
Oxfordshire’s Lawrence Clarke goes in the heats of 110m hurdles at 10.40 this morning.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Update: Former Oxford United teammates make glowing tribute to 'leader' Paul McCarthy
- Chris Maguire urges Oxford United to use agonising FA Cup defeat as play-off spur
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Oxford United head coach Michael Appleton disappointed by soft goals conceded at Middlesbrough
- John Lundstram humbled by massive Oxford United following at Riverside Stadium
- Aitor Karanka relieved after Middlesbrough edge past Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Lee Henderson heads Oxford City to victory over Hemel Hempstead Town
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town earn draw and Kidlington win, but North Leigh and Wantage Town suffer defeats
- FOOTBALL: George Nash earns Banbury United a point, but draw hampers play-off bid
- WEEKEND RESULTS: February 18-19