Banbury United suffered their first opening day of the season defeat for ten years, going down 1-0 at home to ten-man Poole.
A Steve Devlin penalty after 57 minutes earned the South coast side the three Southern League Premier Division points.
The spot-kick was awarded after Tanasheh Abrahams fouled Marvin Brooks.
The visitors lost ex-Oxford United man Carl Pettefer, who was sent off for a reckless challenge on Jack Westbrook on the half-hour.
Banbury Utd: Nuamah, Cray, Strafford, Mzungwana, Westbrook (Osyemi 80), Murombedzi, Abrahams, Evangelinos, Green (Adekunie 58), Martin (Browne 88) , Masri. Subs not used: Oke, Vincent-Young, Brooks.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must beat Bury tonight or they can forget play-off push
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United players to seize final chance against Bury to push Wembley claims
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor’s National League 2 South title bid suffers huge blow but Henley Hawks win
- GOLF: Champions Frilford Heath are whitewashed
- HOCKEY: Mixed emotions as Abingdon Pilgrims bow out with a victory before disbanding
- RUGBY UNION: Defeats for Oxford Harlequins, Witney and Banbury, but Grove triumph
- RUGBY UNION: Gosford All Blacks, Bicester and Wallingford all triumph in Southern Counties North
- RUGBY UNION: Littlemore beat Wheatley as Oxford and Chipping Norton are also victorious
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford are no match for Whitehaven in cup
- DARTS: Oxfordshire chasing promotion