Banbury United suffered their first opening day of the season defeat for ten years, going down 1-0 at home to ten-man Poole.
A Steve Devlin penalty after 57 minutes earned the South coast side the three Southern League Premier Division points.
The spot-kick was awarded after Tanasheh Abrahams fouled Marvin Brooks.
The visitors lost ex-Oxford United man Carl Pettefer, who was sent off for a reckless challenge on Jack Westbrook on the half-hour.
Banbury Utd: Nuamah, Cray, Strafford, Mzungwana, Westbrook (Osyemi 80), Murombedzi, Abrahams, Evangelinos, Green (Adekunie 58), Martin (Browne 88) , Masri. Subs not used: Oke, Vincent-Young, Brooks.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory at Chesterfield
- Chesterfield 0, Oxford United 4 (Hall 17, McAleny 35, 60 & 69)
- UPDATES - Chesterfield v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: It’s a challenging schedule but we’re more than ready
- Rob Hall hoping to boost Oxford United during busy period after much-needed rest
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton left with selection headache for Chesterfield clash
- BOXING: Sammy Ait-Tales lands victory on professional debut
- TABLE TENNIS: Christine Scaysbrook's first maximum saves depleted Forum C
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford youngsters land two trophies in Cardiff
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars aim to bounce back against basement side