Didcot started their Southern League Division 1 South & West campaign with notable 2-0 victory against last season’s play-off contenders Swindon Supermarine.
While the game was evenly balanced, it was Didcot who began on the front foot.
John Mills had already shot narrowly wide, and then inches over the crossbar, before edging the Railwaymen in front on 19 minutes.
Sam Elkins and Matt Clark combined to release Mills in the penalty area and he made no mistake from 15 yards.
The visitors could have levelled immediately after the break, but Luke Hopper hesitated when presented with a clear opportunity and the danger was cleared.
It was a costly mistake as Didcot doubled the lead shortly afterwards.
Clark was again involved in the build-up,but the finish, from 25 yards by Ben Whitehead, was brilliant, giving ex-Didcot keeper Sam Warrell no chance.
In an exciting finish, Whitehead had an effort blocked on the line and James Organ shot narrowly wide for the hosts.
At the other end Ross Adams brought a finger-tip save out of James Foster.
And in stoppage time Swindon’s Ryan Stanners struck the post when it looked easier to score .
Didcot Tn: Foster, Heapy, Organ, Baines, Carnell, Learoyd, Elkins, Clark (Self 55), Mills, Williams, Whitehead (S Parish 88). Subs not used: Bernasconi, McKirnan, A Williams.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw at Northampton Town
- Northampton Town 0, Oxford United 0
- UPDATES - Northampton Town v Oxford United
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton jealous of Northampton Town pitch
- Chey Dunkley points to Oxford United's never-say-die spirit as key factor in battling on two fronts
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Back on the road and ready for another Cobblers clash
- ICE HOCKEY: Simon Anderson eyes final as Oxford City Stars begin play-off bid
- TABLE TENNIS: Karl Bushell wins Hewitt Cup for 11th time
- BOXING: Berinsfield earn clean sweep in Devon
- MOTORSPORT: Oxford's Andy Wallace nominated for Motor Sport Hall of Fame