Didcot started their Southern League Division 1 South & West campaign with notable 2-0 victory against last season’s play-off contenders Swindon Supermarine.
While the game was evenly balanced, it was Didcot who began on the front foot.
John Mills had already shot narrowly wide, and then inches over the crossbar, before edging the Railwaymen in front on 19 minutes.
Sam Elkins and Matt Clark combined to release Mills in the penalty area and he made no mistake from 15 yards.
The visitors could have levelled immediately after the break, but Luke Hopper hesitated when presented with a clear opportunity and the danger was cleared.
It was a costly mistake as Didcot doubled the lead shortly afterwards.
Clark was again involved in the build-up,but the finish, from 25 yards by Ben Whitehead, was brilliant, giving ex-Didcot keeper Sam Warrell no chance.
In an exciting finish, Whitehead had an effort blocked on the line and James Organ shot narrowly wide for the hosts.
At the other end Ross Adams brought a finger-tip save out of James Foster.
And in stoppage time Swindon’s Ryan Stanners struck the post when it looked easier to score .
Didcot Tn: Foster, Heapy, Organ, Baines, Carnell, Learoyd, Elkins, Clark (Self 55), Mills, Williams, Whitehead (S Parish 88). Subs not used: Bernasconi, McKirnan, A Williams.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's defeat at Sheffield United
- RACING: Options open for Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Coneygree's return
- Sheffield United 2 (Sharp 65, Wilson 73), Oxford United 1 (Hemmings 16)
- LIVE - Sheffield United v Oxford United
- Oxford United forward Chris Maguire eager to keep Sheffield United quiet
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: It is crucial we start well to silence the home support
- MOTORSPORT: Williams duo Bottas and Massa ready for Spa test
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire beat Bedfordshire in final to win Wormsley T20
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women's captain Kat Nutman could return at Durham
- CRICKET: Max Smith's super spell speeds Oxford Under 17s to second national title in three years