Didcot started their Southern League Division 1 South & West campaign with notable 2-0 victory against last season’s play-off contenders Swindon Supermarine.
While the game was evenly balanced, it was Didcot who began on the front foot.
John Mills had already shot narrowly wide, and then inches over the crossbar, before edging the Railwaymen in front on 19 minutes.
Sam Elkins and Matt Clark combined to release Mills in the penalty area and he made no mistake from 15 yards.
The visitors could have levelled immediately after the break, but Luke Hopper hesitated when presented with a clear opportunity and the danger was cleared.
It was a costly mistake as Didcot doubled the lead shortly afterwards.
Clark was again involved in the build-up,but the finish, from 25 yards by Ben Whitehead, was brilliant, giving ex-Didcot keeper Sam Warrell no chance.
In an exciting finish, Whitehead had an effort blocked on the line and James Organ shot narrowly wide for the hosts.
At the other end Ross Adams brought a finger-tip save out of James Foster.
And in stoppage time Swindon’s Ryan Stanners struck the post when it looked easier to score .
Didcot Tn: Foster, Heapy, Organ, Baines, Carnell, Learoyd, Elkins, Clark (Self 55), Mills, Williams, Whitehead (S Parish 88). Subs not used: Bernasconi, McKirnan, A Williams.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton
- Oxford United to discover EFL Trophy opponents in draw tomorrow
- Tough pre-season games are helping Oxford United get set for League One, says Chey Dunkley
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United women pay for individual errors as they lose late on to Everton
- MOTORSPORT: Sean Walkinshaw looking forward to competing at Spa
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL continue losing sequence away to Coventry Bears
- FOOTBALL: Mark Janes scores twice for Banbury United after signing from Didcot Town
- DARTS: Tributes paid to young Oxon player Ryan Bull after death at 20