FRANCOIS Vainker starred with a century as Oxford were saved again from another top-order collapse in the drawn Division 1 derby clash at home to Aston Rowant.
The previous week against Slough, it was skipper Ian Crosby, who came to the rescue after a flurry of early wickets.
This time it was Vainker, better known for his left-arm spin, who scored 100 as Oxford recovered from 70-6 to reach 256-9.
Rowant never looked like passing the total and the match petered out into a draw with them on 206-7 in reply.
The visitors would have been hopeful of a better result after a super opening spell from Leo Bethell, who took the first four wickets, two of them to lbw decisions, as Oxford slumped to 26-4.
Karl Penhale then chipped in with two wickets to leave Oxford in big trouble.
But Vainker found a reliable ally in John Barrett and the pair added 142 for the seventh wicket.
Vainker was out for 100 off 159 balls, having hit 11 fours, while Barrett was eventually run out for a classy 67.
Bethell finished with 4-46, while Wes Morrick, although wicketless, conceded only 42 runs in 22 overs.
Rowant’s reply lacked a major innings, as several batsmen got out when set.
Shami Mendis was the main beneficiary, taking 5-50 in 21 overs of off-spin.
Penhale produced a late flourish of 44 from 38 balls, but that succeeded only in taking Rowant over the 200-mark.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- ROWING: Zoe de Toledo’s eyeing Olympic gold hunt in Rio
- CRICKET: Abingdon Vale teenager Ben Charlesworth to make Oxfordshire debut against Devon
- CRICKET: Banbury captain Lloyd Sabin delighted with Luke Ryan's form ahead of High Wycombe clash
- CRICKET: Skipper Charlie Brain rallies Shipton-under-Wychwood ahead of Horspath challenge
- ROWING: Duarte bags sculls success
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom
- Kane Hemmings out to make immediate impact at Oxford United