Dan Rivers admitted he came in under the radar to secure a Commonwealth Games gold medal.
But the 23-year-old rifle shooter, from Didcot, had been quietly confident of his chances.
England’s Rivers had been 100-1 to win the 10m air rifle event at Glasgow 2014, where he took bronze.
And the Wantage Target Shooting Club member was still 66-1 for the 50m three positions contest where he struck gold.
“The odds were because the bookies had gone on world rankings,” said Rivers.
“This year I didn’t compete in the World Cups, so that I could focus my time on the Commonwealth Games.
“I came in as an outsider, but I knew my performances were coming up.”
Rivers grew in confidence after his bronze medal and then won gold five days later with a dominant display.
“I said before that the air rifle was my weakest event, so to get a medal in that was mental,” said Rivers.
“But it showed me that I was capable of doing it in the other disciplines.
“I think I was still feeling a bit high when it came to the prone competition and I didn’t do as well.
“But when it came to the three positions, I really felt comfortable.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Update: Former Oxford United teammates make glowing tribute to 'leader' Paul McCarthy
- Chris Maguire urges Oxford United to use agonising FA Cup defeat as play-off spur
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Oxford United head coach Michael Appleton disappointed by soft goals conceded at Middlesbrough
- John Lundstram humbled by massive Oxford United following at Riverside Stadium
- Aitor Karanka relieved after Middlesbrough edge past Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Lee Henderson heads Oxford City to victory over Hemel Hempstead Town
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town earn draw and Kidlington win, but North Leigh and Wantage Town suffer defeats
- FOOTBALL: George Nash earns Banbury United a point, but draw hampers play-off bid
- WEEKEND RESULTS: February 18-19