Dan Rivers admitted he came in under the radar to secure a Commonwealth Games gold medal.
But the 23-year-old rifle shooter, from Didcot, had been quietly confident of his chances.
England’s Rivers had been 100-1 to win the 10m air rifle event at Glasgow 2014, where he took bronze.
And the Wantage Target Shooting Club member was still 66-1 for the 50m three positions contest where he struck gold.
“The odds were because the bookies had gone on world rankings,” said Rivers.
“This year I didn’t compete in the World Cups, so that I could focus my time on the Commonwealth Games.
“I came in as an outsider, but I knew my performances were coming up.”
Rivers grew in confidence after his bronze medal and then won gold five days later with a dominant display.
“I said before that the air rifle was my weakest event, so to get a medal in that was mental,” said Rivers.
“But it showed me that I was capable of doing it in the other disciplines.
“I think I was still feeling a bit high when it came to the prone competition and I didn’t do as well.
“But when it came to the three positions, I really felt comfortable.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton: Oxford United off-field wranglings 'not a massive issue as long as I know what's going on'
- Rochdale's winning run at home should be an incentive for Oxford United, says Curtis Nelson
- FOOTBALL: Josh Ashby loan extension from Oxford United is ‘like a new signing’, says Oxford City boss Mark Jones
- RUGBY UNION: Matt Williams urges Chinnor to build momentum in National League 2 South
- FOOTBALL: Kidlington manager Julian McCalmon backs Anaclet Odhiambo to shrug off penalty miss
- TENNIS: Chloe Elliott and Diana Mascenikova land LTA Winter County tour titles
- BADMINTON: Jamie Cackett wins bronze at Under 19 Warwick tournament
- 900 remaining tickets for Oxford United's FA Cup clash against Newcastle United go on general sale
- Christian Ribeiro set for Oxford United return in friendly with Vancouver Whitecaps
- Oxford United 'out-punched' by another League One side for loan target