MICHAEL Appleton is keen to stress Andy Whing’s recovery from groin surgery is on track amid rumours the Oxford United midfielder was set to hang up his boots.
The 29-year-old is working his way back to fitness after going under the knife to correct a problem this summer.
But he felt moved this week to deny suggestions on Twitter that he was considering retirement.
Appleton fully understood Whing’s response, but the U’s boss made it clear he was not fond of social media.
He said: “Whingy’s recovery is coming along really well at the minute.
“I think he was irritated about a couple of things that were said on social media, but I said to him these things happen and it’s why I encourage players to use it as little as they possibly can, certainly in football terms.”
Despite the progress, as it stands there is no definitive date set for Whing’s return to action.
Appleton said: “From a timing point of view the most important thing is he gets back fit.
“Whether that’s in a month, two months or three months, it doesn’t really concern me.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- Canice Carroll eyes Oxford United starting role after signing three-year deal
- Michael Appleton confident Oxford United are close to new signing
- Oxford United denied cash boost from Kemar Roofe transfer after Leeds United's failure to make play-offs
- Oxford United young gun Malachi Napa has career immortalised in a comic strip by West Ham
- More details on OxVox stadium bid - but talks 'on hold' due to U's takeover interest