THE Oxford City Stars squad continues to take shape ahead of the new season, with two players in and one out.
Netminder James Skaife has re-signed and will fight for his place in goal alongside new face Ryan Bainborough, but Alan Green has moved on to Slough Jets.
Skaife was part of the Stars side which won National League Division 2 South last season.
The 27-year-old had little to do in some games as the team dominated, but Division 1 will be different.
Bainborough is only 22, but has plenty of experience of the higher level after two seasons with Chelmsford Chieftains.
Coach Darren Elliott made it clear ice time for the two netminders is up for grabs.
He said: “They both want to play hockey, we’ve spoken to both of them and they totally understand that the goalie who’s on his A-game will be playing and it’s up to the other one to push to get a chance.
“It’s healthy competition and that’s what we’re aiming for all over the ice.”
Bainborough said: “When Darren spoke to me about the opportunity I was excited to get started right away and get back into the swing of stopping the puck.
“After a few training sessions I feel we have a good side in a very competitive league, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
One player not involved will be Green, a key member of the club’s back-to-back championship-winning teams.
The 30-year-old has joined Slough, who were runners-up to the Stars last season.
Elliott said: “It’s a shame to see Alan go, but he’s looking for a different challenge and we respect that.
“He’s a great guy and a top player – we’re very thankful for everything he’s done for Oxford City Stars, and all of the goals he’s scored.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 2 (Thomas 28, Crowley 90+4), Brighton & HA 4 (Adekugbe 2, LuaLua 76, Manu 81, Hemed 85)
- Oxford Utd v Brighton & HA - LIVE
- Oxford United linked with Everton midfielder Ryan Ledson
- Oxford United eye another Championship scalp as Brighton prepare to shuffle their pack
- Michael Appleton: Friendly defeat of more use to Oxford United than Brighton ahead of EFL Cup tie
- CRICKET: Witney Mills anger as ‘awful incident’ ends game
- HOCKEY: Super Oxford Hawks youngsters help England win bronze medal
- Oxford City secretary John Shepperd thrilled to receive long service honour from the Football Association
- DARTS: Marvel Matty Smith records three maximums for Cowley British Legion
- Euro trip could be last for threatened Oxford City Lions – boss Enrique Guillen