DIDCOT duo Dan Rivers and Ben Watson were flying the flag at their old school yesterday as they reflected on their Commonwealth Games triumphs.
Rivers, 23, won gold and bronze medals in rifle shooting at Glasgow 2014, while 24-year-old Watson secured weightlifting bronze.
Returning to Didcot’s St Birinus School, where they were both pupils and Watson now works as a teaching assistant, the pair were asked whether their achievements had sunk in.
Rivers, who is back working as a mechanic at Ridgeway Audi in Oxford, said: “I suppose it’s filtering through for me.
“It was a bit of a shock coming back out of that environment because you really get used to it, being with the other athletes.”
Watson said: “It’s just about sinking in. When you are up there, it didn’t seem particularly real.
“Now I have come home and seen my family and got a few cards, I thought ‘it’s actually happened’.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Transfer deadline day - rolling blog
- Oxford United hoping to bring in two on deadline day but Marvin Johnson move "highly unlikely"
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's Checkatrade Trophy win against Exeter City
- Oxford United youngsters expected to make loan moves to non-league after deadline day
- Small Checkatrade Trophy gate at Oxford United cannot take gloss off Tyler Roberts's first professional goal
- AUNT SALLY: Jon Townsend clangs off 15 dolls as Swan stay top
- CRICKET: Minster Lovell seal Airey Cup glory and stay on track for treble
- CRICKET: Oxford Downs and Abingdon promoted from Cherwell League Division 2
- FOOTBALL: Martin Wilkinson quits as Kidlington manager
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)