Richard Kaufman passed 3,000 Championship runs for Oxfordshire on day one of their Western Division clash with Berkshire at Great & Little Tew.
But it was the visitors who ended the day in better shape, having dismissed Oxon for 227 before closing on 126-2.
Kaufman top-scored with 76, but Oxfordshire failed to make the most of choosing to bat first.
They got off to a poor start when Lloyd Sabin edged to slip for a first-ball duck on the seventh delivery of the match.
This was the first of five wickets for Berkshire’s Matt Carter, who enjoyed an impressive day.
Hugo Darby and Shabaz Alam also went cheaply, so it was left to the middle order to get Oxon back on track.
Kaufman was well supported by Jonny Cater (32), while Chris Watling was last man out for 45.
Once Chad Keegan fell for a brisk 28, Oxon slipped from 197-5 to 227 all out, having failed to bat out for 70 of their 90 overs.
Liam Manley grabbed an early breakthrough to remove Simon Macey, but Berkshire, who like Oxon have yet to win in the Championship this season, progressed steadily at three runs an over.
Karl Penhale gave the hosts a sniff when he had David Barnes caught by Darby, but a 74-run stand between Harry Stephens and captain James Morris left Berkshire well placed at stumps.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat