Oxford Utd 1

(Rose 22)

Bournemouth 4

(Stanislas 18, Wilson 44, pen 77, 88)

A superb finish from Danny Rose was in vain as Oxford United completed their pre-season fixtures with a 4-1 defeat at home to Bournemouth.

Junior Stanislas put the Championship side in front with a free-kick, but Rose quickly levelled with a classy run and shot.

Bournemouth edged ahead through Callum Wilson on the stroke of half-time, with the home side complaining of offside.

And the striker finished with a hat-trick as he claimed two late goals, one from the penalty spot.

It left United on the end of a tough scoreline one week before the campaign kicks off at home to Burton Albion.

A combination of roadworks and torrential rain held up Bournemouth's team bus, delaying kick-off by 15 minutes.

But when the game did begin, the visitors were quickest out of the blocks.

Injuries ruled out Jake Wright and Johnny Mullins, so David Hunt was drafted in as a centre back.

He misjudged a through ball to allow the first chance of the game, but George Long came out to force Wilson into a hurried decision which saw the striker poke the ball wide.

Oxford Mail:

Michael Raynes is on the deck and United keeper George Long can only look on as Bournemouth’s Callum Wilson completes his hat-trick

It was the first of three attacks which the on-loan goalkeeper snuffed out by racing out of his penalty area inside the opening ten minutes.

United still looked short of options in the final third, but did create more than in the 1-0 defeat to Wolves in midweek.

Hylton headed just wide with their first sight of goal on ten minutes after a fantastic cross from Joe Riley.

Bournemouth looked more threatening, though, and Wilson should have finished a low Stanislas cross on 14 minutes, but blasted into the East Stand.

The reprieve only lasted four minutes for the home side, who fell behind from a set piece.

Tom Newey fouled Ryan Fraser 20 yards out and Stanislas curled a shot over the wall which beat Long.

Oxford Mail:

New United signing Junior Brown beats Bournemouth’s Adam Smith with his neat ball control 

But within four minutes United were level thanks to a moment of real quality from Rose.

The midfielder won the ball on the edge of the Bournemouth box and beat another defender before chipping a wonderful finish over goalkeeper Benji Buchel.

There was little to choose between the sides for the rest of the half, as United looked to match their slick opponents with some bright passages of possession.

Neither goalkeeper was tested until the stroke of half-time, when the Cherries retook the lead.

Wilson ran on to a through ball which left United, and Newey in particular, appealing for an offside flag which never arrived and the striker coolly slotted past Long.

The hosts were fuming, but came within inches of levelling two minutes into the second half.

Riley, impressive going forward, fizzed in a low cross which was just out of reach for a sliding Hylton.

It was not long before United head coach Michael Appleton began to shuffle his pack.

The first substitute, Sam Long, quickly made a key intervention to prevent a certain goal, reacting quickly to deflect Yann Kermorgant's shot over the bar.

Further changes followed as the game began to lose its flow.

James Roberts, Callum O'Dowda and Josh Ruffels added energy, but Buchel's biggest worry was when he scrambled to prevent an own goal when Hunt's cross was diverted by a Cherries defender.

With 11 minutes remaining the visitors made sure of the victory.

Sam Long was penalised for a handball in the box and Wilson tucked away the penalty with little fuss for his second goal of the afternoon.

The striker rounded off his hat-trick two minutes from time, springing the offside trap to score at the second attempt.

Oxford Utd: G Long, Riley (S Long 56), Raynes, Hunt, Newey, Collins, Meades (Ruffels 65), Potter (Shama 77), Rose, Brown (O'Dowda 66), Hylton (Roberts 66). Subs not used: Crocombe, Grant.

Bournemouth: Buchel, Smith, Muleba, Cook, Daniels, Stanislas (Wakefield 74), Gosling (Carmichael 84), Fraser (Walsh 74), McQuoid, Wilson (Basseli 89), Kermorgant. Sub not used: Kay.

Referee: G Scott (Abingdon).

Attendance: 1,165 (124 visitors).