Oxfordshire's Zoe Shipperley was lost for words after she helped England beat New Zealand 3-1 in a thrilling penalty shoot-out yesterday.
Lily Owsley put England ahead and it looked to be enough, only for Katie Glynn to level in the last minute.
The game then went into a penalty shuffle shoot-out where England goalkeeper Maddy Hinch saved three penalties to set up a gold final meeting with Australia tonight (8.15pm).
Shipperley, who lives in Marsh Gibbon, said: “It was absolutely amazing. I don’t know how to put it into words, but it is great to come out of that game with the win.
“We have been ticking boxes all the way through and we are now in the final.
“The last box to be ticked is the gold medal and that is what we are going for.”
The former St Edward’s School, Oxford teacher added: “We were confident about the shoot-out because we have Maddy, the best goalkeeper in the tournament and I knew she would nail it and that made us very positive.”
Today (10am) former Oxford University student Dan Fox hopes to help England men’s hockey team beat Australia to seal a place in tomorrow’s final.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United
- Michael Appleton warns Oxford United of wounded Bolton Wanderers
- Chey Dunkley’s determined to continue rate of progress at Oxford United
- It's not a world I recognise, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton as football is rocked by corruption charges
- FOOTBALL: Manager John Brough eyes historic FA Cup run to build North Leigh support
- FOOTBALL: Boss Andy Ballard begins four-game ban as Didcot Town face Bishops Cleeve
- RUGBY UNION: In-form Chinnor wary of potential banana skin at Redingensians
- OxVox column: How I got with the programme
- Oxford United hit by Ryan Ledson injury blow