JORDAN Garrett re-wrote the county age group record books with an unbeaten double century for Oxfordshire Under 17s against Bucks in the ECB Championship.
Garrett, 15, smashed an astounding 208 not out to help Oxfordshire to a four-wicket win on first innings at Aston Rowant, as they closed in on the Division 2B title.
The only previous double century-maker for Oxon Under 17s was James Cook with 200 not out more than a decade ago, co-incidentally against the same opposition.
But Garrett’s knock was arguably more of an achievement playing two years above his own age group.
Bucks won the toss and elected to bat, tucking into the Oxfordshire attack on a fantastic batting track.
Their captain, Mark Eteen, scored a brilliant 145 in 149 balls, while opener AJ Woodland hit 131 as Bucks rattled up a formidable 375-8 dec in 86 overs.
Woodland and Eteen shared 267 runs for the second wicket.
Part-time off-spinner Alex Davies was the pick of the Oxon bowlers, with excellent figures of 5-73 from 23 overs.
Garrett and fellow Under 15 opener George Reid negotiated the remaining 16 overs on 36-0, before setting up a great platform on day two with 166 for the first wicket.
Reid, who also played with real assuredness, eventually departed for 73, while Garrett continued in imperious fashion towards his maiden Oxfordshire century.
When he passed three figures, the youngster then proceeded to double that with a chanceless second hundred, his knock containing 31 fours and one six.
Although Oxon lost a handful of wickets in their run chase, they reached 379-6 with more than ten overs of the second day remaining.
Callum Russell chipped in at the end with 33 not out to help Oxon over the line in a remarkable run chase.
Latest Sport news
- ROWING: Zoe de Toledo’s eyeing Olympic gold hunt in Rio
- CRICKET: Abingdon Vale teenager Ben Charlesworth to make Oxfordshire debut against Devon
- CRICKET: Banbury captain Lloyd Sabin delighted with Luke Ryan's form ahead of High Wycombe clash
- CRICKET: Skipper Charlie Brain rallies Shipton-under-Wychwood ahead of Horspath challenge
- ROWING: Duarte bags sculls success
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom
- Kane Hemmings out to make immediate impact at Oxford United