Michael Appleton was thrilled Oxford United’s pat-ience paid off after they finally clinched the signing of Junior Brown last night.
The 25-year-old winger, who can play on either flank, provides a much-needed extra option to the squad’s attacking department.
Brown was available after falling down the pecking order at Fleetwood Town, who yesterday agreed to terminate the remainder of his contract.
Appleton rates the former Crewe Alexandra trainee highly, but has had to bide his time before finally securing the deal.
United’s head coach said: “We’ve been aware of it for a couple of weeks, but unless it’s absolutely inevitable it’s going to happen you’ve just got to stay calm and stay patient.
“We’ve done that and we’re delighted to get him on board.”
Appleton added: “He’s gone through a frustrating period in his career, which is fine. We all do and I think he’s desperate to come and not necessarily prove a point, but show people there is certainly still life in Junior Brown.
“I’m looking forward to that, the season before last, for me, he was the best player in the division.
“That’s the type of player we’re inheriting.”
Brown, who also provides cover at left back, will make his debut tomorrow, when United host Bournemouth at the Kassam Stadium in the final friendly of pre-season.
He was part of the Fleetwood squad which won promotions from the Conference in 2012 and League Two last season.
But he finished the campaign on loan at Tranmere Rovers and has remained outside of boss Graham Alexander’s plans in pre-season.
It means Brown arrives without any injuries, but severely lacking match fitness.
Appleton said: “He’s trained all the way through pre-season and done double sessions, but he’s not played any minutes.
“So you’re not going to see the best of Junior Brown until at least the end of August.
“He’ll be involved, we’ve just got to make sure we don’t put ourselves in the position where ends up getting an injury.”
The deal leaves United’s recruitment search purely focused on bolstering one area – strikers.
Appleton said: “We’re in discussions with a couple of players at the minute.
“To be honest it’s not the players who are the stumbling blocks, it’s probably the clubs they’re coming from.
“That happens, if we were going to let a player out on loan or leave we’d want to make sure it’s in the best interests of the kid.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
6:30pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A 23-year-old man has been jailed for a year following the death of Long Hanborough man Richard Reed in a car crash last year.
8:30am Thursday 3rd September 2015
AN 880-PUPIL free school in Oxford has been hailed as the beginning of a new solution to the county’s shortage of places.
5:06pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A JUDGE has postponed sentencing a designer clothing firm over health and safety failures that led to a four-year-old boy being crushed by a 7ft mirror.
5:00pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A WOMAN who found a hidden camera in the shower of a hotel says she feels disgusted by the incident.
3:28pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A 34-year-old man has been arrested for aggravated burglary and criminal damage.
1:10pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A BURST pipe in Banbury is gushing water onto Broughton Road.