ASTON Rowant’s hopes of a trip to the Caribbean remain alive after a fantastic knock from Nick Ferraby helped them into the CCC Cup semi-final.
The batsman hit a run-a-ball 96 to set up a four-wicket victory at Weybridge.
They host Reigate Priory next month in the last four, with the overall winners representing the Club Cricket Conference in Barbados.
Weybridge opted to bat after winning the toss, but Rowant’s attack, led by Wesley Morrick (3-33), dismissed them for 184.
Ferraby led the response at the top of the order and was backed up by Chris Watling (39) as the pair put on 81 for the second wicket.
It laid the platform for Rowant to ease to victory with five overs remaining.
The semi-final at Butts Way will be played on either Sunday, August 10 or 17.
- OXFORDSHIRE’S run in the ECB 50-Plus County Championship ended when they lost to Essex by five wickets in their last 16 match at Challow & Childrey on Sunday.
The hosts look to have set a stiff target when scoring 213-7 from their 45 overs.
But Essex got home with nearly four overs to spare.
One of their stars was Mel Hussain, brother of former England captain Nasser, who made 46, while skipper Pete Rider hit 49.
Earlier, Oxon seemed in a strong position when Paul Tew (41) and Darryl Woods put on 73 for the first wicket.
But thereafter, only Alistair Thomas (43) made a significant contribution as ex-Essex seamer Ian Pont took 3-32.
Oxfordshire Over 50s 213-7 (45 ovs, A Thomas 43, P Tew 41, P Hemming 41, I Pont 3-32), Essex 217-5 (41.1 ovs, P Ryder 49, M Hussain 46, I Curtis 3-44).
- LEFT-ARM seamer Graham Beer took 5-32 as Horspath beat the Cherwell League Representative XI by 11 runs at the Recreation Ground.
Chasing Horspath’s 216-5 after the hosts opted to bat first, the Cherwell looked to be heading for victory in the match, which formed part of their 40th anniversary.
They had reached 134-2 with Sam Jones making 57 and Adam Mayho 40, but Beer added three quick wickets to his earlier brace as the Cherwell fell short on 205-9.
Earlier, Dean Conradie (65no), Robbie Eason (59) and Steve Green (33) had been the mainstays of the Horspath innings.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- UPDATES - Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must forget FA Cup and make most of game in hand at Charlton Athletic
- Michael Appleton: We must be 'clever' to solve Oxford United's selection jigsaw
- FOOTBALL: Steve Roberts strikes twice as Heyford Athletic beat Cropredy
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy and Max Palmer smash hat-tricks for Berinsfield
- RUGBY UNION: Second-half show guides leaders Chinnor to vital victory as Henley Hawks also triumph
- HOCKEY: Lucy Stewart’s super double secures comeback victory for Oxford Hawks
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins complete double over Banbury, while Witney and Grove also taste victory
- DARTS: Peachcroft make their class tell to sink Kings Arms in Oxford League
- MOTORSPORT: Paul Di Resta retained as Williams official reserve driver for 2017 season