HANNAH England admitted she did not have enough finishing speed after fading to seventh place in the 1500m final last night.
The 27-year-old Oxford athlete attacked with 200m to go at Hampden Park, but never really challenged for victory.
Instead, Kenya’s Faith Kibiegon won a tactical race in 4mins 8.94secs, with Laura Weightman (England) taking silver in 4.09.24.
“I think I ran pretty well,” said England, who clocked 4.11.10.
“I put myself in it with 200m to go, I just didn’t quite have the legs.
“I really went for it down the back straight and that cost me in the last 20 or 30, but I’m glad I gave it a go.
“I think I had to go then and I’m pleased I did.
“It was a slightly open championship and it was great for Laura to get a medal.
“I see myself as being as good as her, but unfortunately not today.”
Although the heats were fast races, England said she was prepared for a quick or tactical contest.
She said: “Sit and kick is a bit more my forte, so I was glad when it was slow at the start.
“Unfortunately, it suited everyone else a bit better.”
Asked whether she will now look to bounce back she when runs for Great Britain and Northern Ireland at the European Championships in Zurich, England replied: “Absolutely.
“I have got two weeks to the day until the Europeans, so I am excited to have another go.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United will not blow salary structure for summer signings, says boss Michael Appleton
- DARTS: Pairs whitewash seals it for Challow British Legion
- Johnny Mullins the high-profile departure as Oxford United announce retained list
- Callum O'Dowda praised by Martin O'Neill after first Ireland training session
- CRICKET: Sabin shines as Banbury beat weather to stay top
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire suffer fourth successive defeat in Trophy
- GOLF: Pepperell secures top-ten finish in Ireland with superb 66
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith happy with improved performance in Italy
- WEEKEND RESULTS May 21-22
- Callum O'Dowda hoping to make mark with Republic of Ireland squad