OXFORD RL remain second from bottom in the table after going down 48-28 to Gateshead Thunder at Gateshead International Stadium on Sunday.
The win – their third over Oxford this season – moved Gateshead up to fifth.
The home faithful were given an early shock as Oxford opened the scoring in the 13th minute with an Alex Thompson try. Jimmy Rowland missed the conversion.
It took the home side 21 minutes to get on the scoreboard, Joe Brown going over for a try.
Benn Hardcastle, on loan from Championship One rivals York City Knights, slotted the first of eight conversions.
In the 25th minute, Hardcastle extended Thunder’s lead with a try of his own, which he converted. Oxford replied when Michael Crabtree took advantage of some poor Thunder defence to score on the half-hour, but again, Rowland could not add the extras.
He had better luck in the 37th minute, converting his own try to give his side a 14-12 lead.
However, it was Thunder who went into the half-time break with the advantage after Hardcastle scored his second try of the afternoon which he coolly converted, making it 18-14 at the interval.
The second half saw Thunder go up a gear and run out comfortable victors.
Captain Jason Payne bagged two tries, dual registered Sonny Esslemont crossed over and there were further tries for Josh Stoker and Joe Hodgson.
Oxford were far from disgraced as tries from Sean Morris, Yannic Parker and Marcus Brooker gave them hope.
But Thunder’s attacking threat proved too much in the end. Oxford: S Morris, Parker, Mulkeen, Brooker, Crabtree, Rowland, Connick, Davies, Sharratt, Evans, Hoggins, Thompson, Rice. Subs: Newton, Morris, Vickers, Hayles.
* OXFORD Cavaliers’ Conference League South fixture away to Sheffield Hallam Eagles on Saturday was postponed.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton
- Oxford United to discover EFL Trophy opponents in draw tomorrow
- Tough pre-season games are helping Oxford United get set for League One, says Chey Dunkley
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United women pay for individual errors as they lose late on to Everton
- MOTORSPORT: Sean Walkinshaw looking forward to competing at Spa
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL continue losing sequence away to Coventry Bears
- FOOTBALL: Mark Janes scores twice for Banbury United after signing from Didcot Town
- DARTS: Tributes paid to young Oxon player Ryan Bull after death at 20