CARL Mason warmed up for the Senior Open Championship in style – by breaking the Tadmarton Heath course record.
The Adderbury-based golfer is a member at the course and claimed six birdies and an eagle on the par four sixth during a pro-am.
The round of 63 was the best score by a professional since the course was lengthened several years ago.
“I don’t recall having eagled the sixth before,” said Mason, who turned professional back in 1973.
“I sank a long putt on the fifth for a birdie having not played the hole particularly well.
“Then I hit a great drive on the 6th to about 25 yards short of the green. I hit a little checking wedge and it went in.”
The 61-year-old’s score helped his team, which was made up by son Andrew, club captain Roger Mawle and John Baker, to win the competition.
Mason went on to Royal Porthcawl for the Senior Open, where a final round 79 ended his hopes of a top-20 finish.
A ten-over par total saw Mason in a share of 39th place.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Latest Sport news
- Oxford United will start pre-season training at Bisham Abbey while work is done at Roman Way
- Liam Sercombe relishing seeing Oxford United teammates again – but not looking forward to pre-season tests
- CRICKET: Ben Knowler's late spell helps send Aston Rowant top of Cherwell League Division 1
- FOOTBALL: Mick Conmy wins top honour at Oxfordshire FA awards
- HOCKEY: Dan Fox gets Olympic call
- AUNT SALLY: Lee Thompson and Mick Berry help steer Swan A to top of Premier Section
- CRICKET: Swashbuckling Nigel Hume hammers 46-ball century as unbeaten Faringdon march on
- CRICKET: Dan White's the man for Hook Norton but rain has final say against Great Horwood
- AUNT SALLY: Dave Dix so close to maximum in Abingdon & District League
- CRICKET: Hanney book Osberton Radiators Cup semi-final place