At least one new face is expected at Oxford United training this morning as Michael Appleton looks to strengthen ahead of tomorrow’s home friendly with Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The U’s were closing in on moves for a midfielder and a defender over the weekend and are hoping to tie up deals as soon as possible.
Appleton, who is also looking to significantly strengthen his forward line, was confident on Saturday he would be able to work with at least one in training today.
The U’s head coach said: “As far as I’m concerned, come training Monday morning we should have one new face and hopefully two.
“The two that we expect are very key to what we want to do.
“Beyond that obviously we have still got a bit of time, but there’s still a lot of work to do, especially at the top end of the pitch.”
Appleton was speaking after Saturday’s excellent 3-0 win against Fulham’s development side in a behind-closed-doors game at Roman Way.
Danny Hylton, Tom Newey and Jon Meades were all on target in an impressive first-half performance.
Hylton and substitute Josh Shama came close to extending the lead after the break, while at the other end goalkeepers George Long and Max Crocombe, who played 45 minutes each, were rarely stretched.
Appleton said: “I think one of the most pleasing things was how organised we were.
“At the minute I’m asking the players questions and they seem to be answering.”
Latest Sport news
- More details on OxVox stadium bid - but talks 'on hold' due to U's takeover interest
- Liam Sercombe a step closer to Oxford United departure
- POINT-TO-POINT: Lisa O'Neill backing Ireland to stop the rot in Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City reveal bumper pre-season programme
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell eyes putting improvements ahead of US Open qualifying
- TENNIS: North Oxford extend super streak to keep promotion push on track
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League preview
- POINT-TO-POINT: Will Biddick does not expect home advantage to help Great Britain in Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- Oxford United give Conor McAleny deadline on contract offer
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Fightback comes too late to save Oxford Saints against Brighton