ZOE Shipperley described her Commonwealth Games debut as unreal after helping England beat Wales 2-0 in their women’s hockey opener, writes STUART WEIR.
The former St Edward’s School pupil and staff member, from Marsh Gibbon, played her part as goals from Alex Danson and Nicola White sealed victory.
Wales included ex-Oxford Hawks star and Oxfordshire junior Emma Batten earning her 63rd cap, but it was the less experienced Shipperley who came out on top.
“It was unreal” said Shipperley. “Something you can’t put it into words.
“It was an amazing experience and one I am proud to be part of.
“Just walking into the village and seeing so many sports and so many countries, is great.
“It is great to be part of Team England.”
Despite the defeat, Batten said: “I am really delighted. We played some of the best hockey in a while and defended them well.
“Ten days ago we lost 8-0 to England, so this was a great performance by our team.
“We are ranked ninth in the tournament, but if we keep on putting in performances like that, who knows what could happen.
“We need to keep building and improving.”
Meanwhile, Dan Fox, a former student of Greyfriars and Teddy Hall, was in the England men’s team which started with a 6-1 win over Trinidad and Tobago.
Fox commented: “We are a bit frustrated that we did not put a more fluid performance together.
“But to win the first game and score six is a good result.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United sign striker Kane Hemmings from Dundee in six-figure move
- WATCH: Videos of Oxford United's new signing Kane Hemmings scoring for Dundee
- Oxford United set for double signing to boost firepower after friendly defeat by Brighton
- Oxford United's EFL Trophy group opponents include Chelsea and Swindon Town + POLL
- CRICKET: Tom Condon's century keeps up Aston Rowant's Cherwell title challenge
- AUNT SALLY: Darren Cox's super 16 renews Florence Park's title bid
- CRICKET: Rob Owen's super century helps Faringdon bounce back with Charlbury victory
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton