LONDON Welsh head coach Justin Burnell would welcome the chance to sign Wales and Lions prop Adam Jones.
The 100-cap Ospreys tighthead is in limbo without a club due to the dispute between the Welsh Rugby Union and their four regions.
Jones, 33, has been linked with moves to Bristol, Saracens and Sale, but Burnell is happy to add the Exiles to the prop’s list of admirers.
“I would love to have Adam on board,” he told WalesOnline.
“I genuinely believe he is one of the best tight heads in the world, if not the best.
“When somebody of his calibre becomes available, you have to be interested.”
One player Welsh have definitely signed is 26-year-old Cardiff Blues lock James Down – whose capture was announced yesterday.
Down was was spotted by Burnell as a 16-year-old while playing for his former club Llantwit Fardre in South Wales.
And now Welsh’s head coach hopes he can help Down, who was called up to the Wales squad during the 2012 autumn internationals, progress further.
“I always thought James had a huge amount of potential,” said Burnell.
“Coming through the Blues system, he played alongside the likes of Bradley Davies and Lou Reed, who have both gone on to be full internationals.
“He’s played a lot of rugby in different competitions with Cardiff Blues and he’s another fantastic addition to our squad.
“I’m really pleased to have someone of James’s calibre on board.”
Latest Sport news
- Charlton Athletic 0, Oxford United 1 (McAleny 11)
- UPDATES - Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must forget FA Cup and make most of game in hand at Charlton Athletic
- Michael Appleton: We must be 'clever' to solve Oxford United's selection jigsaw
- FOOTBALL: Steve Roberts strikes twice as Heyford Athletic beat Cropredy
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy and Max Palmer smash hat-tricks for Berinsfield
- RUGBY UNION: Second-half show guides leaders Chinnor to vital victory as Henley Hawks also triumph
- HOCKEY: Lucy Stewart’s super double secures comeback victory for Oxford Hawks
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins complete double over Banbury, while Witney and Grove also taste victory
- DARTS: Peachcroft make their class tell to sink Kings Arms in Oxford League