OXFORDSHIRE’S men, inspired by third pair Tom Greenland & Benedict Calnan, recorded their first victory in Group 5 of the Aegon Summer County Cup at West Worthing with a 7-2 triumph over Hereford & Worcester.
Greenland and Calnan won all three of their matches to cement a welcome success after Oxon’s opening defeat to Sussex on Monday.
No 1 pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two out of three, including a 6-1, 6-0 victory over their Hereford counterparts.
And No 2 pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown also won 2-1 but had to work harder, all three matches going to three sets.
Oxfordshire’s ladies fell to their second consecutive Group 6 defeat at Ilkley, Yorkshire, losing 6-3 to Cornwall, following Monday’s 7-2 loss to Cambridgeshire.
Latest Sport news
- Jordan Evans stays on at Oxford United to give support in final test
- Oxford United will monitor rivals' scores in final day showdown
- Danny Hylton happy to wait on contract talks until Oxford United's future is decided
- Composure will be key for Oxford United in sprint for the finish, says Michael Appleton
- Gareth Ainsworth aiming for Wycombe to make more memories at Oxford United's expense
- Michael Appleton puts faith in Oxford United injured players to make right call
- Kemar Roofe on a mission to make Oxford United starting line-up
- Oxford United goalkeeper Benji Buchel ready for Wycombe bombardment
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton returns to the saddle at Kingston Blount
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire youngsters reach national finals after dramatic shoot-out