THREE hockey players with Oxfordshire connections will be representing the home nations in Glasgow.
Zoe Shipperley is in the England women’s squad and Dan Fox plays for their men, while Emma Batten is in the Welsh ladies’ ranks.
Shipperley is a former pupil and graduate assistant at St Edward’s School, Oxford.
But the 24-year-old defender, who lives at Marsh Gibbon, near Bicester, is now a full-time hockey player.
Former Oxford University student Fox, 31, made his England debut in 2009 and represented Great Britain at the London 2012 Olympics.
Fox is also a useful crickter, who scored 184 in the 2005 Varsity Match during a 408-run partnership with Salil Oberoi.
Former Oxford Hawks player Batten, 26, is in her second Commonwealth Games with Wales.
Batten grew up in Oxford and came through the county’s junior set up.
The programme begins tomorrow with women’s fixtures, including England versus Wales.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Charlton Athletic
- Charlton boss Russell Slade unhappy with side over Oxford United equaliser
- MOTOR SPORT: Bradley Smith makes speedy recovery to line up in Japan
- Oxford United 1 (Maguire 67), Charlton Athletic 1 (Jackson pen 54)
- Oxford United v Charlton Athletic - UPDATES
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Charlton will be a tough test but we’re ready to challenge
- Grateful Marvin Johnson aiming to repay Oxford United fans with goal against Charlton
- BILLIARDS: Bob Chivers break boosts Fieldside
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Role model Demi Lambourne can inspire youthful Oxford United, says boss Les Taylor
- ICE HOCKEY: Buoyant Oxford City Stars bidding to build on first victory