THREE hockey players with Oxfordshire connections will be representing the home nations in Glasgow.
Zoe Shipperley is in the England women’s squad and Dan Fox plays for their men, while Emma Batten is in the Welsh ladies’ ranks.
Shipperley is a former pupil and graduate assistant at St Edward’s School, Oxford.
But the 24-year-old defender, who lives at Marsh Gibbon, near Bicester, is now a full-time hockey player.
Former Oxford University student Fox, 31, made his England debut in 2009 and represented Great Britain at the London 2012 Olympics.
Fox is also a useful crickter, who scored 184 in the 2005 Varsity Match during a 408-run partnership with Salil Oberoi.
Former Oxford Hawks player Batten, 26, is in her second Commonwealth Games with Wales.
Batten grew up in Oxford and came through the county’s junior set up.
The programme begins tomorrow with women’s fixtures, including England versus Wales.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis eyes chance to extend GB's golden record at Rio Olympics
- FOOTBALL: Les Taylor backs Oxford United Women to learn from errors ahead of Everton clash
- BOXING: Bicester star Adi Burden impresses on professional debut with knockout victory
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce's century inspires Oxfordshire Over 60s to victory
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Valtteri Bottas looking forward to Finnish invasion at Hungarian Grand Prix
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Under 14s edged out in thriller
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford clean up at three-day gala
- ICE SKATING: Oxford skaters waltz off with medals at national championships
- MOTORSPORT: Dave Messenger lands double podium at Castle Combe