THREE hockey players with Oxfordshire connections will be representing the home nations in Glasgow.
Zoe Shipperley is in the England women’s squad and Dan Fox plays for their men, while Emma Batten is in the Welsh ladies’ ranks.
Shipperley is a former pupil and graduate assistant at St Edward’s School, Oxford.
But the 24-year-old defender, who lives at Marsh Gibbon, near Bicester, is now a full-time hockey player.
Former Oxford University student Fox, 31, made his England debut in 2009 and represented Great Britain at the London 2012 Olympics.
Fox is also a useful crickter, who scored 184 in the 2005 Varsity Match during a 408-run partnership with Salil Oberoi.
Former Oxford Hawks player Batten, 26, is in her second Commonwealth Games with Wales.
Batten grew up in Oxford and came through the county’s junior set up.
The programme begins tomorrow with women’s fixtures, including England versus Wales.
Latest Sport news
- Josh Ruffels signs new contract at Oxford United
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University Greyhounds beat Bicester to reach Oxfordshire Cup final
- RUGBY UNION: Wheatley storm to victory and Littlemore make it fifteen wins in a row
- DARTS: Promotion-chasers Oxfordshire in key battle
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Felipe Massa ready for challenge as F1 testing begins
- DARTS: West Oxford Democrats secure Section 1 title despite defeat
- Oxford United upbeat about Rob Hall's hamstring injury
- Oxford United fans' chat
- 'We were not ruthless enough', says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton, 'but it's difficult to say that after a 4-0 win'
- Clean sheet is just like a hat-trick for Oxford United's defenders, says Joe Skarz