WEIGHTLIFTER Ben Watson can’t wait to get going in Glasgow.
The 24-year-old, from Didcot, competes in the 105kg category event next Wednesday night and is relishing the highlight of his career so far.
Like rifle shooter Dan Rivers, Watson is a former St Birinus School, Didcot pupil – and actually learned the sport there under teacher Philip Karlsson, who still coaches him today.
“I don’t want to put any extra pressure on myself by making a bold prediction or stating a target figure, but I would be very happy to finish in the top five,” said Watson, who is a teaching assistant at the school and won the English title in February.
“At the Commonwealth tournament last year I came sixth, so fifth would be a definite improvement,” he added.
Latest Sport news
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks
- MOTORSPORT: Williams' Valtteri Bottas on a mission to end his Monaco hoodoo in F1
- POINT-TO-POINT: Alan Hill hoping for Kingston Blount glory
- BOXING: Clarke and Robinson claim wins for Blackbird Leys
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands