WEIGHTLIFTER Ben Watson can’t wait to get going in Glasgow.
The 24-year-old, from Didcot, competes in the 105kg category event next Wednesday night and is relishing the highlight of his career so far.
Like rifle shooter Dan Rivers, Watson is a former St Birinus School, Didcot pupil – and actually learned the sport there under teacher Philip Karlsson, who still coaches him today.
“I don’t want to put any extra pressure on myself by making a bold prediction or stating a target figure, but I would be very happy to finish in the top five,” said Watson, who is a teaching assistant at the school and won the English title in February.
“At the Commonwealth tournament last year I came sixth, so fifth would be a definite improvement,” he added.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Oxford United's new faces help take squad to higher level, says Michael Appleton
- ATHLETICS: Nathan Douglas upbeat heading into make-or-break Olympic trials
- ANGLING: Littlemore ease into Supercup semi-finals
- BOXING: Darius Skop dominates in win over rival Jody Meikle
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 60s in last-over victory
- CRICKET: Dylan Driscoll stars in Oxfordshire Under 10s victory
- MOTORSPORT: Nathan Harrison recovers from penalty to move top of the standings
- LACROSSE: Oxford City to hold taster session for all abilities
- Simon Eastwood bidding to establish himself as Oxford United's No 1