ENGLAND rugby sevens captain Tom Mitchell believes they can dethrone the All Blacks and claim their first Commonwealth gold.
New Zealand have won four out of four titles since the sport’s introduction in 1998, but former Oxford University fly half Mitchell says his side can end that run.
“There are certain advantages,” he said.
“We haven’t had to travel far which is a benefit and after the training we’ve done, we’re in a really strong position, so we’re hoping to do very well.
“It’s certainly realistic to be up there.”
Former Oxford RFC player Sam Myers is in the Australian squad.
Matches take place on Saturday and Sunday.
Latest Sport news
- Jordan Evans stays on at Oxford United to give support in final test
- Oxford United will monitor rivals' scores in final day showdown
- Danny Hylton happy to wait on contract talks until Oxford United's future is decided
- Composure will be key for Oxford United in sprint for the finish, says Michael Appleton
- Gareth Ainsworth aiming for Wycombe to make more memories at Oxford United's expense
- Michael Appleton puts faith in Oxford United injured players to make right call
- Kemar Roofe on a mission to make Oxford United starting line-up
- Oxford United goalkeeper Benji Buchel ready for Wycombe bombardment
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton returns to the saddle at Kingston Blount
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire youngsters reach national finals after dramatic shoot-out