ENGLAND rugby sevens captain Tom Mitchell believes they can dethrone the All Blacks and claim their first Commonwealth gold.
New Zealand have won four out of four titles since the sport’s introduction in 1998, but former Oxford University fly half Mitchell says his side can end that run.
“There are certain advantages,” he said.
“We haven’t had to travel far which is a benefit and after the training we’ve done, we’re in a really strong position, so we’re hoping to do very well.
“It’s certainly realistic to be up there.”
Former Oxford RFC player Sam Myers is in the Australian squad.
Matches take place on Saturday and Sunday.
Latest Sport news
- Christian Ribeiro upbeat on painful path to long-awaited Oxford United debut
- RUGBY UNION: Sorry Bulls trampled by high-fliers
- BAR BILLIARDS: Vikings A and B teams go through to next round
- ICE HOCKEY: Hallam Wilson's hat-trick seals double raid for the high-flying Oxford City Stars
- MOTORSPORT: Banbury's Darren Turner is crowned champion in Le Mans Series GTE Championship
- ATHLETICS: Brilliant Paul Fernandez proves class above to win Abingdon Marathon
- Rob Hall sets up two goals on Oxford United return
- UPDATE: New ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ex-Oxford United striker Jefferson Louis loving return to area with Oxford City – 32 transfers later
- FOOTBALL: Sam Barder is Didcot’s match-winner while Banbury and Kidlington earn draws and Wantage are thrashed