ENGLAND rugby sevens captain Tom Mitchell believes they can dethrone the All Blacks and claim their first Commonwealth gold.
New Zealand have won four out of four titles since the sport’s introduction in 1998, but former Oxford University fly half Mitchell says his side can end that run.
“There are certain advantages,” he said.
“We haven’t had to travel far which is a benefit and after the training we’ve done, we’re in a really strong position, so we’re hoping to do very well.
“It’s certainly realistic to be up there.”
Former Oxford RFC player Sam Myers is in the Australian squad.
Matches take place on Saturday and Sunday.
Latest Sport news
- Danny Hylton rejects Oxford United to join Luton Town
- Johnny Mullins signs for Luton Town following release by Oxford United
- Oxford United youngsters Jack Stevens and Miles Welch-Hayes sign professional contracts
- Michael Appleton to hold 'honest conversations' with Oxford United's four goalkeepers
- Oxford United to cover fewer miles in League One next season
- FOOTBALL: New manager John Brough had 'long admired' North Leigh
- FOOTBALL: Manager Enrique Guillen salutes Oxford City Lions after FA Futsal Cup triumph
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United captain Andy Gunn takes top honour at awards night
- FOOTBALL: April England fires Oxford City to Southern Region Women's League Cup title
- FOOTBALL: Clanfield 85 Youth crowned champions