ENGLAND rugby sevens captain Tom Mitchell believes they can dethrone the All Blacks and claim their first Commonwealth gold.
New Zealand have won four out of four titles since the sport’s introduction in 1998, but former Oxford University fly half Mitchell says his side can end that run.
“There are certain advantages,” he said.
“We haven’t had to travel far which is a benefit and after the training we’ve done, we’re in a really strong position, so we’re hoping to do very well.
“It’s certainly realistic to be up there.”
Former Oxford RFC player Sam Myers is in the Australian squad.
Matches take place on Saturday and Sunday.
Latest Sport news
- Back injury rules Joe Skarz out of Oxford United's game at Southend United
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Michael Appleton hoping plum draw in FA Cup will give Oxford United added incentive
- ATHLETICS: Organisers cancel third round of Oxford Mail Cross Country League
- WEEKEND RESULTS December 3-4
- FOOTBALL: Matt Sysum's goal earns victory for North Leigh
- FOOTBALL: Callum White’s fluke goal seals last-gasp win for Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: James Roberts breaks his duck as Oxford City slip to home defeat
- FOOTBALL: Supersub Lewis Coyle hits stunning four-timer for Kidlington
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton takes no risks with Vesperal Dream