ENGLAND rugby sevens captain Tom Mitchell believes they can dethrone the All Blacks and claim their first Commonwealth gold.
New Zealand have won four out of four titles since the sport’s introduction in 1998, but former Oxford University fly half Mitchell says his side can end that run.
“There are certain advantages,” he said.
“We haven’t had to travel far which is a benefit and after the training we’ve done, we’re in a really strong position, so we’re hoping to do very well.
“It’s certainly realistic to be up there.”
Former Oxford RFC player Sam Myers is in the Australian squad.
Matches take place on Saturday and Sunday.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Oxford United's new faces help take squad to higher level, says Michael Appleton
- ATHLETICS: Nathan Douglas upbeat heading into make-or-break Olympic trials
- ANGLING: Littlemore ease into Supercup semi-finals
- BOXING: Darius Skop dominates in win over rival Jody Meikle
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 60s in last-over victory
- CRICKET: Dylan Driscoll stars in Oxfordshire Under 10s victory
- MOTORSPORT: Nathan Harrison recovers from penalty to move top of the standings
- LACROSSE: Oxford City to hold taster session for all abilities