OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- Reaction as Oxford United's Checkatrade Trophy tie is postponed minutes before kick-off
- Oxford United v Bradford City off due to frozen pitch
- Toni Martinez excited by prospect of making Oxford United debut in FA Cup clash with Newcastle United
- Silence from Firoz Kassam as stadium talks continue
- Ryan Taylor: Wembley impossible to ignore for Oxford United in Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final
- DARTS: Oxfordshire close in on promotion race with big win over Gwent
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks are held to draw after Kyle Barnes's brace gives them flying start
- FOOTBALL: Ricky Johnson out as Banbury United take on play-off rivals Chesham United
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor return to the top of National League 2 South as Basil Strang stars in Redingensians win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury unbeaten run ends in Newbury defeat