OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United and Oxford City excited over new partnership at Court Place Farm
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith secures 12th place in France
- CRICKET: Shipton fall short in run chase
- CRICKET: Banbury tie in thriller, Horspath beat champions and Great Tew suffer in the rain
- WEEKEND RESULTS: May 20-21
- CRICKET: Jack Brooks celebrates maiden first-class century
- GOLF:Eddie Pepperell's in the money in Sicily
- ATHLETICS: Hannah England wins in Loughborough
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire 'over the moon' after reaching third Twickenham final
- ICE HOCKEY: Devastated Oxford City Stars forced to quit new league