OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United knocked out of FA Youth Cup by Bristol Rovers in first round
- Christian Ribeiro upbeat on painful path to long-awaited Oxford United debut
- RUGBY UNION: Sorry Bulls trampled by high-fliers
- BAR BILLIARDS: Vikings A and B teams go through to next round
- ICE HOCKEY: Hallam Wilson's hat-trick seals double raid for the high-flying Oxford City Stars
- MOTORSPORT: Banbury's Darren Turner is crowned champion in Le Mans Series GTE Championship
- ATHLETICS: Brilliant Paul Fernandez proves class above to win Abingdon Marathon
- Rob Hall sets up two goals on Oxford United return
- UPDATE: New ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ex-Oxford United striker Jefferson Louis loving return to area with Oxford City – 32 transfers later