OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Chris Maguire hails Oxford United resilience after hitting back for draw
- Kane Hemmings hopes impact from bench can lead to Oxford United start
- We will always have a go, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton
- FOOTBALL Oxford City lose their way on nightmare day as they slip into the bottom two
- WEEKEND RESULTS September 24 & 25
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United hit three-goal blitz to land another win
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Charlton Athletic
- Charlton boss Russell Slade unhappy with side over Oxford United equaliser
- MOTOR SPORT: Bradley Smith makes speedy recovery to line up in Japan