OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United players to seize final chance against Bury to push Wembley claims
- RUGBY UNION: Littlemore beat Wheatley as Oxford and Chipping Norton are also victorious
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford are no match for Whitehaven in cup
- DARTS: Oxfordshire chasing promotion
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks suffer blow in bid for third spot
- Ryan Ledson nominated for EFL Young Player of the Season award
- Trio are injury doubts for Oxford United's clash with Bury tomorrow
- I just rely on my instinct, says Oxford United keeper Simon Eastwood after penalty save
- Liam Sercombe frustrated at Oxford United's failure to get a win
- It’s two points dropped, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton