OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- Oxfordshire Senior Cup final details are confirmed
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash