OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- CRICKET: Shaun Cross takes four as Shipton cruise into last 16 of Davidstow Village Cup
- ATHLETICS: Clarke books ticket to Rio Olympics and vows best is yet to come
- ATHLETICS: Douglas claims British triple jump title, but yet to seal place to Rio
- WEEKEND RESULTS June 25 & 26
- CRICKET: Samad Fallah takes seven as Oxford rout Gerrards Cross
- ATHLETICS: Ennis delighted to reach 200m final
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Oxford United's new faces help take squad to higher level, says Michael Appleton