OXFORDSHIRE’S men’s and ladies teams both tasted defeat on the first day of of the Aegon Summer County Cup.
The men, bidding for a hat-trick of promotions, were edged out 5-4 by Sussex in Group 5 at West Worthing.
And the women found Cambridgeshire too strong in Group 6 at Ilkley in West Yorkshire as they were beaten 7-2.
Oxon’s men had their chances against the home county, holding match point on a couple of occasions as no fewer than four of their nine matches went to three sets.
First pair Jon Maskens & Joe Cartledge won two of three matches, while second pair Nigel Matthews & Harry Brown won one out of three, but had a chance at match point against their Sussex counterparts.
Third pair Benedict Calnan & Tom Greenland also went down 2-1.
The men are playing Hereford & Worcester today and are expecting to get off the mark.
Oxon’s ladies were outgunned by Cambridgeshire who fielded some full-time players.
Their two wins came from Alice Atkins & Sophie Marriott, and Patricia Vallima & Ariadne Katsoulis.
Oxon face Cornwall today.
Latest Sport news
- I moved to Oxford United to realise potential, says Ryan Ledson
- Chris Wilder: No place for Sheffield United to hide in "massive" game with Oxford United
- Oxford United confident new scoreboard will be installed shortly
- Benji Buchel call-up raises issue of Oxford United recalling Jack Stevens’ loan from Oxford City
- My Oxford United debut is a boost for all the club's youngsters - Miles Welch-Hayes
- OxVox column: Oxford United make a difference, thanks to generous supporters
- Michael Appleton happy with Oxford United options after Ryan Ledson's arrival
- FOOTBALL: Captain Scott Davies backs Oxford City to build on slow start to Vanarama National League South campaign
- CRICKET: Will Eason backs Division 2 leaders Horspath to finish the job without Rameez Raja
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town sign Oxford United's Jordan Graham on loan ahead of Larkhall Athletic clash