AN outstanding all-round performance saw Oxfordshire Under 17s crush Bedfordshire on first innings in their ECB Championship match at Bedford Modern School.
After rattling up a massive 372 all out in their innings, Oxon shot out their hosts for a paltry 81 first time around, enabling them to enforce the follow-on.
They then had Bedfordshire clinging on nine wickets down to just miss out on an innings victory.
Winning the toss, Oxfordshire opted to bat on a flat pitch, and there were contributions throughout the order.
Captain James Fitzjohn led the way with a classy and fluent 68, while there was a belligerent knock of 63 down the order from Leo Bethell.
Nine of Oxon’s batsmen got into double figures, with useful knocks also from Alex Davies and Hendrick Robyns, both of whom scored 42.
When Bedfordshire came to bat, they had no answer to Oxon’s fine bowling.
Bethell took 3-24 from seven overs, but the pick of the bowlers was leg spinner Saim Hussain, who returned magnificent figures of 5-23 as Beds were rolled over for 81 in just 28 overs.
With a first innings lead of 292, Oxon had no hesitation asking Bedfordshire to follow on.
This time, off-spinner Harvey Eltham starred, with 3-67.
Bedfordshire collapsed again to 107-7, but a tremendous rearguard effort from Hasan Al Mahmood, who finished with 86 not out, prevent Oxon from taking an innings victory as Bedfordshire closed on 265-9.
- Oxfordshire 22pts, Bedfordshire 8
Oxfordshire Under 15s completed a superb victory against Worcestershire at Ombersley to make it six wins from their last seven matches.
Success against Shropshire in ten days will see them reach the national semi-finals.
Batting first, Oxon set an over-par score of 167-6.
Charlie Miller contributed a useful 32 not out, but the star of the show was left-handed opener George Reid who batted 48 overs for a superb 83.
In reply, Oxon’s only blemish was 26 extras as they bowled, fielded and caught superbly as Worcester were bowled out for 100 in 35 overs.
Max Smith took 3-10, while Asad Rafiq and Jack Tomes claimed two wickets apiece.
- A HALF-century from Luke Charlesworth was in vain as Oxfordshire Under 13s slipped to a nine-wicket defeat in a friendly against Warwickshire at Warwick School.
Oxon posted 147-6 from their 40 overs as Abingdon Vale duo Charlesworth scored 52 and Sammy Lion-Cachet 41.
But Warwickshire cruised to victory at 150-1, the only wicket coming courtesy of a run out.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton
- Oxford United to discover EFL Trophy opponents in draw tomorrow
- Tough pre-season games are helping Oxford United get set for League One, says Chey Dunkley
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United women pay for individual errors as they lose late on to Everton
- MOTORSPORT: Sean Walkinshaw looking forward to competing at Spa
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL continue losing sequence away to Coventry Bears
- FOOTBALL: Mark Janes scores twice for Banbury United after signing from Didcot Town
- DARTS: Tributes paid to young Oxon player Ryan Bull after death at 20
- GOLF: Heythrop Park to host Challenge Tour event
- GOLF: Lucie Feaver so hungry for more after taking on world