JOHN Aldridge caught a nice bag of bream to take the third round of the Oxford Summer League fished by seven teams of six on the Thames either side of Radley boathouse.
All the top weights came from the top shallowest section, Aldridge (Isis) catching an impressive 73.5.0 from the famous grey gate in the top section.
He fished groundbait feeder and worm to catch bream to 4lb and lots of skimmers around the 1lb mark, which is a good sign for the future.
Tony Hobbs (Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths) fished groundbait feeder and worm and had skimmers to 2lb for a second-placed 20.15.0.
Phil Drew (Sensas A4) was close behind with 18.10.0, a net of skimmers on feeder and worm.
Teams: 1 Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths Blue 34pts, 2 Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths Red 28, 3 Sensas A4 24.
League: 1 Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths Blue 84pts, 2 Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths Red 83, 3 Sensas A4 77.
The sixth round of the Oxford Carp League was held on Club Pool at the prolific Tunnel Barn Farm, where the top eight weights were all over the magic ton.
Mick Lane started on the long pole to the island without much success before switching to the margins with meat over groundbait to take F1s, carp and barbel for a winning 127.12.0.
Andy Benwell (Fishing Tackle & Bait) took 65 carp and F1s for 122.0.0, using just the top kit of his pole in front with paste as hookbait, followed by Andy Wiffen (Bio-source).
Two decent bream, plus skimmers and roach on feeder with bread, gave Steve Wildman victory in Dorchester AS’s Goddard Shield on the Thame. He won the rover match with 19.0.0.
Dean Webster had roach and bits on caster for 9.0.0, followed by Dave Head with 7.0.0.
Jason Smith continued his good early-season form with another win in Masons AC’s points match, fished by six on the Thames at Medley.
Changing to the feeder as the wind got up, he found five bream to go with perch and bits caught earlier on the pole for a winning 21.5.0.
Paul Armstrong was runner-up with one bream and bits for 8.1.0, and after being plagued by pike all day, Chris Webb caught 5.5.0 of roach, perch and bits for third.
The prolific Gary Thorpe set a new lake record at Oakfield on Sunday.
He caught caught 208.1.8 of carp to 8lb and F1s to top the 14-strong field.
Result: 1 G Thorpe (GOT Baits) 208.1.8, 2 A Quarmby 177.9.0, 3 M Brayfield (Miracle Baits) 101.0.8.
Oakfield: (Wednesday, Red Kite & Swallow Lakes, 17 fished) 1 D Simons 159.1.0, 2 B Eddy (Dynamite Oakfield) 132.5.0, 3 M Giles (RS Baits) 103.3.0.
Oakfield: (Saturday, Red Kite & Swallow Lakes, 27 fished) 1 L Ripper (GOT Baits) 149.10.0, 2 J Rogers (Frenzee GOT Baits) 149.7.0, 3 G Thorpe (GOT Baits) 124.9.0.
Charlbury AC: (Clarke Cup v Clanfield, Thames at Folly) 1 D Foreshew (Clanfield) 13.0.0 (roach & perch, pole & caster), 2 M Taylor (Charlbury) 8.13.0, 3 C Nicholson (Clanfield) 6.5.0.
- Farmoor Reservoir has been shortlisted for the Alan Faulkner Memorial trophy – a Wheelyboat Trust award that recognises the efforts of game fisheries to support anglers with disabilities.
The winner will be announced at this weekend’s CLA Game Fair at Blenheim Palace.
Oxford Carp League: Round 7, Rissington. Draw 11am, fishing 12-6.
North Oxford AS: v Marston FTB, Cherwell. Draw 7am, fishing 8-1.
Oxford Waltonian: v Goring. Draw 7am, fishing 8-1.
Littlemore AS: R Arnatt Cup. Thames at Sandford. Draw 6.00, fishing 7.15-12.15.
Dorchester AS: B&O Wallingford Cup, Fairmile. Draw 7am, fishing 7-12.
Beehive AC: FA & UEFA Cup quarter-finals. Panshill. Fishing 12-6.
Sutton Courtenay AC: v Marston FTB, Cherwell.
Yarnton & District AC: Club match, Yarnton Meadow. Draw 6.45, fishing 8-1.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's win at Charlton Athletic
- Conor McAleny delighted to get off mark by firing Oxford United to win at Charlton Athletic
- Long-serving Oxford United coach Richard Blackmore steps down
- Michael Appleton: It would have been a risk not to freshen up Oxford United for trip to Charlton
- Charlton Athletic 0, Oxford United 1 (McAleny 11)
- RUGBY UNION: Witney earn win despite Callum Godfrey dismissal
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy and Max Palmer smash hat-tricks for Berinsfield
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough book Fred Ford Cup final spot in style with rousing victory over Carterton Town A
- UPDATES - Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must forget FA Cup and make most of game in hand at Charlton Athletic