Michael Appleton is looking forward to getting to know his players better after Oxford United arranged a last-minute training camp at Bisham Abbey.
This is the first summer that the U’s have not gone away on a pre-season tour since 2008.
But Appleton, who took over as head coach less than a fortnight ago, was keen to get away and gel with the squad.
United found a vacancy at the national sports centre in Berkshire and will hold a camp between Monday and Thursday next week.
Appleton said: “I love having the opportunity to spend 24-7 with players.
“It’s one thing trying to learn about a player when he comes into training every day, it’s another to see what his interests are off the field, to see what he’s about as a personality.
“You learn so much more about the individual rather than the player.”
The trip means United have cancelled Tuesday’s scheduled development squad fixture at Kettering.
Latest United news:
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw at Northampton Town
- Northampton Town 0, Oxford United 0
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton jealous of Northampton Town pitch
- Chey Dunkley points to Oxford United's never-say-die spirit as key factor in battling on two fronts
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Back on the road and ready for another Cobblers clash