JAVELIN thrower Freddie Curtis’s career will hit new heights when he competes at next week’s World Junior Championships in the USA.
The 19-year-old, from Hardwick, near Bicester, earned his place in Great Britain & Northern Ireland’s team for the championships in Eugene, Oregon after going beyond 70m for the first time.
Curtis and his GB teammmates are now at a training camp ahead of the main event from July 22-27.
The England Under 20 champion’s previous best of 69.48m was set last year, but he threw a landmark 71.83m to win the POPPI-Olympialaiset meeting in Kannonkoski, Finland earlier this month.
That mark sees him ranked 20th in the world for the junior age group.
Loughborough University student Curtis, who is coached by Fin Petteri Piironen, is also now the UK’s top under 20 thrower and fourth overall.
The Marshall Milton Keynes athlete comes from a family of javelin throwers, with older brother Jackson, 21, a former South of England Under 20 champion.
Younger brother Redford, 17, finished second behind Freddie in this year’s England Under 20 Championships.
And on Saturday, Redford was fourth at the English Schools Track and Field Championships in Birmingham.
Representing Somerset Schools, Redford threw 58.71m in the senior boys’ javelin.
SPRINT hurdler Lawrence Clarke enjoyed victory in the B race at the Spitzen Leichathletik meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland.
The 24-year-old GB international, from Christmas Common, clocked 13.51secs into a 0.7m/s headwind.
NIGEL Bunn and his daughter Fiona enjoyed a dominant victory at the Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon in Cumbria.
The Abingdon AC pair finished over 80 minutes ahead of their nearest rivals on the Harter Fell course.
They completed the two-day event, which requires navigation between checkpoints while carrying camping kit, in 6hrs 40mins 20secs.
ENTRIES are still open for Sunday’s Abingdon Summer 10K at Tilsley Park.
Runners can sign up between 9.30 and 10.15am ahead of the 10.30 start.
Entry costs £12 and includes a t-shirt and medal. Contact race director Mark Caswell on 07977 831519.
SEE Saturday’s Oxford Mail for full English Schools Track and Field Championships coverage.
Latest Sport news
- Chris Maguire loving life at Oxford United – but it's 'too early' for contract talks
- Rob Hall eyes final fitness milestone in Oxford United's clash with Oldham Athletic
- Young Oxford United squad need me to be an assertive leader – Michael Appleton
- Oldham Athletic skipper calls for FA Cup response at Oxford United
- BOXING: Ex-world champion Steve Collins sees Oxford fighters star
- FOOTBALL: John Brough bidding to make more history for North Leigh in Trophy
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United boosted as Conor McDonagh turns down move to rivals
- FOOTBALL: Mike Fondop returns to give Oxford City a big lift
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor sign London Welsh hooker Koree Britton to boost title hopes
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal